Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

how to resize a cardigan pattern on smaller needles?
I'm sorry, I've asked this question before a long time ago re another pattern but I still can't do the math. I just go blank.

I've been searching for a picture of this cardigan but I can't find it. It's in Vogue Knitting 2004 Winter and it's just the simplest cardigan you can imagine, no ribbing, no detail, just plain stockinette. It's down in Tahki Stacy Charles Ghost Print however which is what makes it look great, thick & thin bulky.

I have some gorgeous Manos del Uruguay that is a bit thick and thin but it has to be knit on Size 11. How can I change the pattern.. their gauge is 9 sts & 13 rows = 4" on size 13 needles

I get about 3 sts per inch on Size 11. Drat! I know I should be able to do this math but I can't. My instinct is just to go with the Extra Large size. that's not good is it?

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, you can make a larger size of the pattern. Multiply your 3 sts per inch times the measurement you want and see which size is closest to the number of sts you need, then use that size but knit the lengths to the right measuremnt. You might also try the 13s, just because a yarn has a certain size on the needle doesn't mean you have to use that size, it's just there to classify the yarn into a weight category (bulky vs super bulky). You might even be able to get the gauge for the sweater on 13s and it looks okay.

Last edited by suzeeq : 11-19-2010 at 03:59 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Thanks Sue! That really helps. I think I'll do a swatch with the 13s just to check it out but I think it'll be too loosey-goosey.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote