Old 11-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
chewy
Casting On

1st stitch is M1 - how to do?
Making a Christmas ornament and the first stitch in the 5th row is M1 how do I do that if there is no knitting on the right needle?
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Do a kfb in the first stitch. Or if you're working in the round, do it in the strand between the last st of the previous round and the first one of R5, or as a backward loop before the first st.

How is that row worded?

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
chewy
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Do a kfb in the first stitch. Or if you're working in the round, do it in the strand between the last st of the previous round and the first one of R5, or as a backward loop before the first st.

How is that row worded?
1st row is Purl; 2 is K in front and back of each st across 12 sts. 3 is purl. 4th reads *M1, k1, rep from * - 24 sts. I watched the M1 videos but there is always stitches on the right needle. The directions in the patter say to M1 lift the horizontal thread lying between the needles and place onto left needles but there isn't.
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Since the pattern says :
Quote:
*M1, k1, rep from * - 24 sts.
I'd use a backward loop for the first M1 (In the videos on this site it is called a M1A and is the first increase on the increase video), then go to the M1 your pattern described for the others that are between stitches.

To make the M1A at the beginning of the row here is how I would describe it: Put the needle in your right hand so that you are looking at the back side of the work, now fold the working yarn back on itself so that it forms a cursive "e". There are two ways the "e" loop could be formed, they will both work, but if you do it so that the strand of yarn running back to the needle is on top, it will make the nicest appearance on the right side. Then put the needle in your left hand and knit that new loop, and continue on.

It is no big deal how you do it for something like a Christmas ornament. The Kfb that Sue mentioned will work too, I just think this looks a tad better. A Kfb is a very standard increase, I just don't happen to like the looks of it most of the time (once in a while it is just the ticket). Sue did mention the backward loop too. So two votes.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's worded wrong in the first place. To get from 12 sts at the end of R 2 to the 24 at the end of R 4 you have to kfb in every stitch, same as row 2. Some people use 'm1/make1' generically to mean an increase and they really mean kfb.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
The designer seemed aware of both increases and described a M1 in the notes, then used a Kfb in row 2, but called for M1 on row 4. I tired doing the M1 across and it came out 24 at the end. Be sure not to count the first one as both a M1 and a k1. I don't know why the designer didn't use kfb the second time, maybe she doesn't like the "bar" it makes; either would work though.