Old 11-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
CynN
Casting On

Intarsia.. how to start pattern?
For my first intarsia project, i had found a pattern for wristbands where intarsia is used to form 4 letters. I'm not sure what a block is in that case, would a bobbin be used for each letter or would i need to add a new block of the main colour for say, the "empty" space in the letter 'e'..?
Also, do you always start the pattern on the purl side?
I'm so confused!

Let me know if it would help for me to post the pattern on the here.
CynN is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Hi!
I could be more precise if I had a link to the pattern, because then I would know what we talk about.

Mostly what you do in intarsia: you have a few rows of knitting done (ribbing, cuff, straight, whatever your pattern says, mostly anyways).

Then the intarsia part begins: every block of color gets a bobbin of its own. Your question is: what is a block of color: well, you see that easily by going through the chart line by line (row by row): every color change marks a new block. So every time you go from one color to the second: new bobbin.

Now, if I knew your pattern, I could tell you more... If your letters are - let's say - just one or 2 stitches wide for each line in the letter, I might take a new bobbin for every line of that letter, but I would strand the main color behind (call that "fake intarsia" if you like) For true intarsia you would start a new bobbin of main color there as well.

Oh, you do not always start a piece of knitting with a purl row.
The pattern says what side (Right side or Wrong side) you start on. Either is fine.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote