Old 11-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Malinda
Casting On

stitch question
I am doing the sheetheart afghan on row 50 I am totally confused on yo, increase. Have read some of the others same question and still do not understand. please help. Malinda
Malinda is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you can't put a link to the pattern, can you type out the row that has the YO? You can look at the Increases page for different incs including a YO. You just wrap the yarn around the needle the same way you do for a knit stitch, then do the next stitch in the pattern.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Malinda
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
If you can't put a link to the pattern, can you type out the row that has the YO? You can look at the Increases page for different incs including a YO. You just wrap the yarn around the needle the same way you do for a knit stitch, then do the next stitch in the pattern.
If you mean what pattern I am doing it is in the book our best knit baby afhgans and is called Precious in Pink saw it called something else in another book. Row 50 have looked at all increase instructions that I could find and do not show one for YO, increase.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Hi, Melinda!

I'm going to take a stab at answering this since I've had similar confusions back when I was first tackling increases......

The Yarn Over won't necessarily be listed as a "yarn over increase". It just IS. When you make a yarn over, it adds a stitch to the row.

If you want to keep the same number of stitches across the row then you'd have to make a decrease to offset the yarn over (example: YO, k 2 together would balance it out - one increase and one decrease).

If, however, you want the row to have more stitches than the one before it, you would just make the yarn overs where indicated and then follow the pattern for the rest of the stitches without worrying about decreases.

I hope this helps. If not, I''m sure Suz will bail you out!

Ruthie
Old 11-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Malinda
Casting On

Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi, Melinda!

I'm going to take a stab at answering this since I've had similar confusions back when I was first tackling increases......

The Yarn Over won't necessarily be listed as a "yarn over increase". It just IS. When you make a yarn over, it adds a stitch to the row.

If you want to keep the same number of stitches across the row then you'd have to make a decrease to offset the yarn over (example: YO, k 2 together would balance it out - one increase and one decrease).

If, however, you want the row to have more stitches than the one before it, you would just make the yarn overs where indicated and then follow the pattern for the rest of the stitches without worrying about decreases.

I hope this helps. If not, I''m sure Suz will bail you out!

Ruthie
Thanks but I understand Yarn overs. I just have never seen it where it actually said yo, increase. So was just confused what to do
Old 11-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
I just have never seen it where it actually said yo, increase.
If that's how its written - with a comma between YO and increase, then these are 2 separate stitches, not one. As I said, if you type out the sts in that row, we can figure it out. Also, does the pattern explain 'increase'? Usually it will.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Malinda (11-28-2010)
Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Malinda
Casting On

If that's how its written - with a comma between YO and increase, then these are 2 separate stitches, not one. As I said, if you type out the sts in that row, we can figure it out. Also, does the pattern explain 'increase'? Usually it will.
Yes the pattern does explain increase but not where you have a yo then increase. I know I probably am making it harder than it really is. here is the row: K16,increase,(YO,SSK)twice,K3tog,with left needle bring second st on right needle over first st and off the needle,YO, K2tog, YO, increase, K1, increase, (YO,SSK)twice,K3tog, with left needle bring second st on right needle over first st and off the needle, YO, K2tog, YO, increase. I have done a increase where you did it in the next stitch and where you pick up the yarn from the last row you did. In this pattern book it shows doing the increase in the next stitch. Thank you alot for helping me.

Malinda
Old 11-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Then do the increase just like it shows, which would be a kfb. The YO isn't being used as an increase here, it's to make the decreases balance out for an eyelet pattern.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
Malinda
Casting On

Then do the increase just like it shows, which would be a kfb. The YO isn't being used as an increase here, it's to make the decreases balance out for an eyelet pattern.
So where it says increase,k1,increase would I do all that in the one stitch? But then the last part says YO, increase would I increase in the next stitch where you start the pattern over?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

No you don't do it all in one stitch, the commas show that they're all separate and it would say 'all in next st' or something like that. So your row goes something like this -

K16, kfb, (YO,SSK) twice, K3tog, with left needle bring second st on right needle over first st and off the needle, YO, K2tog, YO, kfb, K1, kfb, (YO,SSK) twice, K3tog, with left needle bring second st on right needle over first st and off the needle, YO, K2tog, YO, kfb.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Malinda (11-28-2010)