Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Sheri
1st Leg of the Journey

Custom Spun Yarn needs a sweater or vest pattern
A few years ago I purchased 10 skeins of 75% superfine gray merino wool and 25% of black baby kid mohair. It was custom spun for Martie, owner of the Taos Sunflower Yarn shop in Taos, New Mexico. There are 178 yards per skein. I get 4.0 stitches per inch on size 10 addi turbo needles.
I have never knitted a vest or sweater but I think I'm ready to do so. (I knit socks top down if that matters) I've been looking on-line for days now trying to find a simple top down sweater, or vest or even bottom up is fine. I'd like to try knitting in the round and my swatch tells me this yarn really likes stockinette.
My problem has been finding a pattern that calls for size 10 needles with 4 stitches per inch. I also don't know if my first sweater should have raglan sleeves or set in sleeves. If I try a vest I prefer it be hip length. Thank you in advance for pattern suggestions. I suppose I'd wear a size L.
Oh, if it's not knitted in the round, I do like to knit back backwards which gives me a really nice consistent gauge. I really don't like using such large needles but it's the way I have to go with this yarn.
The pattern can be free or I'd be happy to pay for one too.
Sheri
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Have you looked at www.ravelry.com? You have to join but it's free.

You can search for 'vests' (or whatever) or you can narrow it down by the guage your yarn is giving.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
Sheri (12-03-2010)
Old 12-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

It is rather difficult to find a pattern calling for a gauge of exactly 4 stitches per inch. If you're not a member of Ravlery.com yet, you may want to take the above poster's suggestion and create an account (it's free and quick) ... it's a great way to search through patterns from a variety of sources all in one place, plus you get to see other peoples experiences with particular patterns.

I found the patterns below (not all are free, but the ones that aren't are not overly expensive if you really liked the pattern), and I think they all fit your gauge requirements fairly well, so you may want to check them out.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring08/PATTtalia.html

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/balmoral-vest

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/patty-ann
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
Sheri (12-03-2010)
Old 12-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can look for Aran weight patterns, or for bulky weight. You knit to the gauge specified in the pattern, not the one you get on a certain size needle. That's useful to determine the yarn thickness, but you would want to match the gauge on the pattern on whatever needles will do that. You might just as well get 4Ĺ sts/inch on 9s, or 3 sts per inch on 11s.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Sheri (12-03-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
borealowl
Knitting the Flap

I have a book called The Green Mountain Spinnery Knitting Book that has some sweaters in it with the guage of 4=1". I am knitting the cable weave pullover right now with that guage and you might not want it for a first sweater as it has cables. There are a couple more that are easier like "Rosemary's Middle Sized Sweater" (a couple easy cables though) and the Easy Raglan, a top down one at 4 1/2 sts = 1".
borealowl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to borealowl For This Useful Post:
Sheri (12-03-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Sheri
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Mirl56 View Post
Have you looked at www.ravelry.com? You have to join but it's free.

You can search for 'vests' (or whatever) or you can narrow it down by the guage your yarn is giving.
Yes, I belong to Ravelry. I spent a great deal of time there looking and looking. Thank you though for your suggestion.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
Sheri
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by kmaclean View Post
It is rather difficult to find a pattern calling for a gauge of exactly 4 stitches per inch. If you're not a member of Ravlery.com yet, you may want to take the above poster's suggestion and create an account (it's free and quick) ... it's a great way to search through patterns from a variety of sources all in one place, plus you get to see other peoples experiences with particular patterns.

I found the patterns below (not all are free, but the ones that aren't are not overly expensive if you really liked the pattern), and I think they all fit your gauge requirements fairly well, so you may want to check them out.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring08/PATTtalia.html

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/balmoral-vest

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/patty-ann
Thank you for finding these patterns. I tried replying the other day but this site was down.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
Sheri
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by borealowl View Post
I have a book called The Green Mountain Spinnery Knitting Book that has some sweaters in it with the guage of 4=1". I am knitting the cable weave pullover right now with that guage and you might not want it for a first sweater as it has cables. There are a couple more that are easier like "Rosemary's Middle Sized Sweater" (a couple easy cables though) and the Easy Raglan, a top down one at 4 1/2 sts = 1".
Thank you for the book suggestion. I'll try and find it. Sheri
Old 12-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
Sheri
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
You can look for Aran weight patterns, or for bulky weight. You knit to the gauge specified in the pattern, not the one you get on a certain size needle. That's useful to determine the yarn thickness, but you would want to match the gauge on the pattern on whatever needles will do that. You might just as well get 4Ĺ sts/inch on 9s, or 3 sts per inch on 11s.
Thank you. I looked on the label of the yarn and it recommended size 9 or 10, so that's why I mentioned the needle size. It does make sense what you are recommending ... I did look for aran weight yarn patterns but I was too focused on the needle size. I read a post which talked about the DVD called Sweater Wizard and found it at a reduced price at Overstock.com and ordered it. I'm curious - do most people find a pattern first and then hunt for the yarn or visa versa? Or doesn't it matter to most people which comes first? While I have you, what yarn do you like most to knit really crisp and well defined cables? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I don't knit cables, so really can't help you there.

I usually buy yarn and then come across a pattern. Sometimes I see a pattern and then buy the yarn but not often. But I don't knit to a specific gauge on a specific needle size, and often don't knit to the gauge in a particular pattern anyway.

What you would do is look for a pattern for your yarn weight, then use the needle specified for that pattern. That's the gauge you have to match, not the gauge on the label. That's not the 'recommended' gauge or needle size for that yarn anyway, that's the gauge and needles that classify a yarn into a weight category so you can sub similar yarns.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Sheri (12-03-2010)