Old 12-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Kuschelschaf
Casting On

Pattern help: Dale of Norway winter cap
I’m not sure how much I am allowed to post of the pattern, because of copyright, so I will try to be as descriptive as I can without actually infringing on copyright laws. If there is a problem with anything I wrote, this can be removed

Ok so I am working on an adult hat from the Dalegarn Nr. 130 pattern book. Its a norwegian style cap that starts working in a rib on 118 stitches. I have to change needle sizes and the pattern reads as follows: “Begin adult cap pattern, inc 1 st at beginning of first rnd, and work pattern as follows (according to the chart): beg at arrow for appropriate size and work graph from right to left to center st. Work mirror image of pattern just worked and go from left to right to end rnd. Complete pattern as set as shown on graph. Next rnd, K2tog across rnd, ending K1 st. Gather remaining 60 sts on piece of yarn and fasten.”

The graph itself is 59 st across and 53 down. When I do my increases, do I inc at the beginning of each round on the graph? If I do, how do I end with 60 sts? I guess there are some problems because the pattern was probably written in Norwegian first and then translated for the american / english markets. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I tried to be as descriptive as i could without giving the entire pattern away. I left out all I felt was unnecessary.
Kuschelschaf is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
While it's not okay to post an entire pattern it is okay to post a line or two of the problem you are having so you did fine.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer so hopefully another more knowledgeable member can help you out there.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Kuschelschaf
Casting On

Thank you so much for your quick reply!! I tried asking my mom and consulted ravelry as well, and it looks like I just increase the very first stitch of the graph and nothing else. But wouldn't 119 stitches be very small (when knit on size 3 needles) for a women's cap? Maybe I should have made the mens cap instead! -.-
Kuschelschaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's okay to post a few rows, not the chart though.

It sounds as though you inc on the first st of the round, work the chart, then repeat it in reverse. That's 119 sts and when you finish all the rows of the chart, you k2tog all the way around on them which cuts the number in half, and knit the single last st leaving 60 sts.
Since you switch to a larger needle after the ribbing, that would make it bigger. But even if you get 6 sts per inch, on 119 sts that's 19˝" around and plenty large enough.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote