Old 12-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Purlster
Ribbing the Cuff

Pattern question for a continental knitter...
Hello,

I am knitting some fingerless gloves with a pattern from Churchmouse Yarns (www.churchmouseyarns.com). It is a paid pattern, so I am only posting the bit where I am having trouble understanding the pattern. I think it may be because I am a continental knitter, not American style. It is the thumb gusset bind-off. There are 48 stitches on the needles. I am doing magic loop on circulars, so the needles have 18 stitches on one and 30 stitches on the other due to increases. The needle with more stitches has one stitch, a marker, 15 stitches, a marker, and then 14 stitches. I hope that makes sense. Here's the thumb gusset:

"K1, remove marker, P1: keeping yarn in front, slip next st purlwise, bring yarn to back. *Slip 1 st purlwise, pass second st on the right needle over the first to bind off. Repeat from * until you have bound off the last knit gusset st over the last purl; remove marker. Slip the last st remaining from your binding off back to the left needle. Turn. Using cable cast-on method and working quite firmly, cast on 3 sts. Turn. Slip the first st on the left needle to the right needle purlwise and pass the last cast-on st on the right needle over. Knit to end of round. (37 sts)"

Okay, what's throwing me off is cast on bit. I have already bound off to the last stitch. I moved that stitch back to the left needle. Now what? Do I cast the new stitches on to the left or right needle? What other changes do I need to make to the pattern to accommodate the continental knitting style?

Thank you all as always for any help you can provide!

Alex
MrKnitster on Ravelry.com
Guy Knitter on the Boston Commuter Rail
Purlster is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Knit into that leftover stitch but leave it on the needle and put the new st on the L needle too. Then do 2 more and you have 3 new sts over the gap where you bound off the others. Put the needle back to your right hand and finish working the round. You don't need to make any changes, because there is no 'american' style of knitting. US and Canadian knitters use english, continental, combined and several other styles.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Purlster (12-07-2010)
Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
There are no changes that need to be made to accommodate English/Continental knitting. Things work out the same way with either of those. Sometimes combined knitters have slight adjustments, but mostly about the ways to make increases I think.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

For combi knitters it's the decs - they have to swap them.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thank you for the correction. Changes needed is one reason I have never gotten into Combination knitting, beyond trying it out.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

There's not that much of a change and it's only if you knit flat. If you knit in the round, there's no change needed at all because the 'backwards' wrap or picking for the purls doesn't usually happen.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Purlster
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm sorry; I meant to say "English", not "American"--Typing too fast I guess. I am living proof that not all Americans knit English.

Thanks for all the replies!

Alex
MrKnitster on Ravelry.com
Guy Knitter on the Boston Commuter Rail
Purlster is offline   Reply With Quote