Old 02-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
OT: Kindle or Nook?
Has anyone researched the differences? I saw a Nook in person today and found it interesting. I have yet to see a Kindle, but have read some about it. Anyone have either of these?
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

My DH got me a Kindle for Christmas because I am a voracious reader, and even though our house has some built in bookshelves, we have books overflowing. I love it, and wish that some buttons were in better thought out places rather than down by the right hand corner, where you are more likely to grab than not. But, other than that, I absolutely adore my Kindle and my local library does as well as they've received scads of books I've been collecting electronic versions of for the past 5 or so years. Now I can put the e-books on my Kindle (now that my Palm PDA is dead but not forgotten) and send the dead tree versions to the library for others to enjoy.

Kindle's are also great for college students as most textbooks have an e-book version and they are way WAY cheaper than the dead tree editions, AND, if you are smart you will just grab a copy from someone else who took the course.

My husband is looking into the Sony e-reader for himself. We have several applications that allow us to convert DOC and PDF formats to the formats of just about any reader out there.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaR For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (02-21-2010)
Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
YarnCrazy
Casting On

I have a friend who has the Kindle and she seems to like it. I have the Sony e-Reader and LOVE it. If you like to read in bed, I would suggest getting one of the readers that has the backlight feature. I get to read in bed and not disturb my DH. Good luck choosing and enjoy.
YarnCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YarnCrazy For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (02-21-2010)
Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
zkimom
Working the Gusset

I totally agree about the back light feature. I bought a Kindle for my Dad for his birthday and I think that is one feature it is lacking.

I use my Kindle app on my Ipod Touch all the time, especially in bed when my dh is asleep and couldn't do without the backlighting.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (02-21-2010)
Old 02-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I also use the Kindle app on my iPod Touch and love it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (02-22-2010)
Old 02-22-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,890 Times in 3,011 Posts
Mason (Knitting_Guy) recommends the Sony Reader. He uses it and talks about it at length on his blog.

I'm still on the fence about an e-book reader, whatever the brand. If major knitting reference books were available as e-books...then I'd be pushed over the fence.

Anyone got knitting e-books?

I'm not a fiction reader. Just non-fiction: history, travel, biography, autobiography, technical books, and other reference books.

How would one find out if knitting reference books are available as an e-book? Would the Barnes and Noble website give the e-book as an option at checkout?

I'd just die to have all of Nicky Epstein's "Edge" books in an e-book reader. But many of the great finishing books, etc. Wherever I travel, I'd always have a reference handy!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (02-22-2010)
Old 02-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #7
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
I've got Kindle on my iPhone, and use it daily. Reference books that I'll keep, and cook books, etc. I still buy as hard backs, and give them no thought as being "dead tree books"

http://www.tappi.org/paperu/all_about_paper/faq.htm
Quote:
Over half of the raw material used to make paper in the U.S. comes from recovered paper and the wood waste (such as wood chips and sawdust) left behind from lumber manufacturing.
Back to the Kindle, my only regret is that when I read a good book on my iPhone, it can't be shared with my husband. I'm also not sure of how condensed from a 'Kindle Version' or from any other electronic handheld source.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (02-22-2010)
Old 02-22-2010, 04:52 AM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,890 Times in 3,011 Posts
Oh...so Kindle is a phone app? I thought it was a tablet thing, like Nook and the Sony Reader.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (02-22-2010)
Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
It is both. You can get a Kindle on its own, and also as an application on an iPhone or iPod touch.
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

My husband DLed the Kindle for his Crackberry, we also have Kindle for our PCs and a drive in the home server dedicated to just e-books.

I bought Knitting The Old Way yesterday for my Kindle and the ONLY thing I don't like is no color. The back light thing would be a nuisance IMHO because it would make it nearly impossible to read from during the day (because of how the screens are made) and I have a clip on light to use if I want to read at night. According to my ophthalmologist, back lighting from computer screens causes the most eye strain. I chose the Kindle based on that as I have enough trouble with getting older and reading as it is.

I'm waiting for my husband's birthday in April to get him the Sony reader. We're very much a contrast and compare couple when it comes to tech gadgets, which explains the 7 different laptops in our house and homemade PCs. The only thing I have a single one of is my PDA. The husband wants me to get a Treo or iPhone now so he can play with it. I told him I never USE my stupid cell phone and I'm not getting HIM a new toy to play with. So the Sony e-reader should be the perfect surprise.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaR For This Useful Post:
Belphoebe (02-22-2010)