Old 12-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Lovely Leaf Lace scarf
I love the look...but...I just don't want to seam a scarf (or anything else if I can get out of it )! Why couldn't I just reverse the pattern after the SS middle?

http://www.purlbee.com/hand-knit-lace-scarf/

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sgtpam For This Useful Post:
cindycactus (12-19-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Lace patterns don't knit the opposite direction very well, which is why this was done the way it was. If you don't mind how it looks, you can just knit from one end to the other in the same direction. There's a video for kitchener st on the Tips page and some on youtube - try it on a sample piece to practice.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Lace patterns don't knit the opposite direction very well, which is why this was done the way it was. If you don't mind how it looks, you can just knit from one end to the other in the same direction. There's a video for kitchener st on the Tips page and some on youtube - try it on a sample piece to practice.
Thanks Sue......I wonder why that is? I haven't done anything but a few sample lace swatches but am itching to try it. I keep trying that darn kitchener and haven't gotten it yet .......I think I'll need to get someone to actually show it to me next time I find someone who gets it.

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can try it but it's hard to make incs come out in the same place the decs would be the other way, and vice versa. If you don't mind a seam in the center (which may be on the neck anyway) you could do a 3 needle bind off.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
sgtpam (12-19-2010)
Old 12-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

I love that pattern. I will have to try it. I learned the kitchner stitch doing socks. It is a little confusing to learn but after a few times it come easier. I sat in front of my computer and watched the video over and over.
The Following User Says Thank You to cindycactus For This Useful Post:
sgtpam (12-19-2010)
Old 12-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Kitchener stitch - gotta love it!
Hi!

Kitchener stitch is one of those neat utility techniques that has many applications beyond closing up sock toes!

And it's so fascinating (for me, at least) to watch the two pieces you're grafting come together seamlessly. So cool!

I, too, had difficulty retaining the technique, though, since I started out only doing it on sock toes where I was dealing with about 8 stitches. As soon as I was finished, the method just went out of my head and I'd have to "re-learn" it each time. Bummer!

BUT, then I used it on a rectangular piece that was about 50 stitches wide and "Voila!", it stuck! I wanted a specific lace pattern at each end of a rectangle that had seed stitch in the middle. So when I finished knitting the fancy lace on the first end I knitted three rows of st stitch. Then I started the seed stitch and worked that up to where the lace from the other end would attach, ending off with one row of st stitch.

Holding those stitches on a spare needle, I worked the lace at the other end and added one row of st stitch. Then I grafted them together with kitchener stitch and got a seamless join and the third row of st stitch that matched the other end!

The bonus there was that I really learned the kitchener stitch because I did such a long line of it at one time. It really made the process understandable.

So go for it! I can see where this would be an easy one to work that kind of magic!

Good luck!

Ruthie
sgtpam (12-21-2010)