Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
pattern help: provisional
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/beret-gaufre

It's free so I'll just post what I'm having trouble with (provisionals always mess me up.) I do understand the goal of the instructions, to turn up the "brim" and close it, almost like a tubular cast-on and then start working on the body of the beret.

Quote:
Beret
Using waste yarn and provisional method, cast
on 99 sts. Place marker (pm) and join, taking
care not to twist sts. Knit 6 rnds.
Close brim: Using smaller circular needle, pick
up the live sts from the cast on rnd. Fold brim up
so that rev St st is visible from the right side,
holding needles parallel to one another. *Knit
together 1 st from smaller needle and 1 st from
larger needle; rep from * around. Set smaller
needle aside.
This is probably more of a clarification thing, but I assume I am to change to the main yarn at "Place marker (pm) and join, taking care not to twist sts. Knit 6 rnds."

If that is the case, how do you join in the round when you cast on with a provisional? Am I missing something there?

And then for the picking up part, I'm just grabbing the "bumps" from the provisional cast-on, yeah?

Is the crocheted provisional suitable for this? (I mean crochet cast-on onto the circ, not the work into the crochet chain one.)

Thanks a bunch!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson

Last edited by boyforpele13 : 12-20-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: clarification
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
I'm guessing that the provisional cast on with waste yarn can be interpreted as casting on with a different color and knitting as usual. When you get to where you need to pick up the stitches, you can put your needle through one loop of the main-yarn stitches and then pull out the yarn that you cast-on with.

ETA--or you can use the crocheted provisional and join after you've worked the first row of main-yarn.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I couldn't get my computer to show me the whole pattern, but this is what I'm picturing, but I could be all wet.

Make a crochet chain about 110 chains long with waste yarn. With your hat yarn pick up 99 bumps on the back of the chain (leave about 5 chains on each end and where you ended the chain tie a loose knot to mark the end of the chain to unravel when the time comes.). Join to work in the round. Knit 6 rounds. Take the provisional cast on out and put a smaller circular needle into the live stitches produced. Fold the piece up so that the two needles are next to each and parallel to each other and the rev St st side of the folded piece facing out, with the needle you knit the 6 rows with, knit the first st on each needle together as one, repeat around, chuck the empty skinny needle and keep working with the needle you knit the 6 rnds with.