Old 12-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
AvnArmyWife
Casting On

New Knitter Needs Some Advice
Hi ladies

I currently have 5 projects I'm "SUPPOSED" to be working on , but I want to finish the baby blanket that I started for a friend. I'm on my 3rd set of stitches? and the blanket doesn't look like it'll be big enough. Should I start over or try a different pattern?

My husband also wants me to make him a Denver Bronco blanket (I'm so thankful that he's confident I can make it for him ) I've looked on the internet and couldn't find a pattern for one, let alone how to even start one since I'm having a hard time with the baby blanket.

The other projects for wounded soldiers and soldiers that are working with my husband, however, as I mentioned earlier, my baby blanket is a disaster and I wanna get that right, but I even attempt to start the other projects. Any advice or insight would be so great. Thanks in advance!!!

BTW...What are large eye blunt needles and what are they used for? Do I really need them? How is working with a circular needle different? Easier? Helpful? than a straight needle?
AvnArmyWife is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
AniseRN
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by AvnArmyWife View Post
... I want to finish the baby blanket that I started for a friend. I'm on my 3rd set of stitches? and the blanket doesn't look like it'll be big enough. Should I start over or try a different pattern?
Can you post a picture of your blanket so far? And tell us more about the pattern. If it's not big enough, probably you should keep knitting to make it bigger, not start over! But really we need more information to know for sure.

Also I would suggest you figure out how to finish the baby blanket and actually finish it before you start on your next blanket. That way you will be more confident and more relaxed, and it will be a lot more fun.

Good luck!

Anise
AniseRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
How many inches have you done? And can you spread them out a little to measure the width? A baby blanket doesn't really have to be a specific size, anything from about 24" to 36" will be fine. If you think the sts are too tight, you might want to use a larger needle size. If it's smaller than you want, use more sts and/or a larger needle.

The blunt needle is used for seaming edges and threading the ends through sts when you're done (also known as 'weaving in the ends'). I don't use them because the eyes in the ones I have are mostly too small for my yarn, so I use crochet hooks for pulling the ends into the sts instead.

A circular needle is more versatile than straights, it can be used to knit flat (like that blanket) as well as in the round for hats or sweaters. The cords hold about 2-3 times more sts than its length, a lot more than straights will, and since you're not holding up the weight of your knitting like you do with straights, it's easier on your hands and wrists. I recommend that you do buy at least one to try out. Most people don't use straights at all after they try circs.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
AvnArmyWife
Casting On

Originally Posted by AniseRN View Post
Can you post a picture of your blanket so far? And tell us more about the pattern. If it's not big enough, probably you should keep knitting to make it bigger, not start over! But really we need more information to know for sure.

Also I would suggest you figure out how to finish the baby blanket and actually finish it before you start on your next blanket. That way you will be more confident and more relaxed, and it will be a lot more fun.

Good luck!

Anise
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
How many inches have you done? And can you spread them out a little to measure the width? A baby blanket doesn't really have to be a specific size, anything from about 24" to 36" will be fine. If you think the sts are too tight, you might want to use a larger needle size. If it's smaller than you want, use more sts and/or a larger needle.

The blunt needle is used for seaming edges and threading the ends through sts when you're done (also known as 'weaving in the ends'). I don't use them because the eyes in the ones I have are mostly too small for my yarn, so I use crochet hooks for pulling the ends into the sts instead.

A circular needle is more versatile than straights, it can be used to knit flat (like that blanket) as well as in the round for hats or sweaters. The cords hold about 2-3 times more sts than its length, a lot more than straights will, and since you're not holding up the weight of your knitting like you do with straights, it's easier on your hands and wrists. I recommend that you do buy at least one to try out. Most people don't use straights at all after they try circs.
Anise~ I will get some take some pics to post as soon as I find my camera. I'm nearly out of yarn, but I haven't figured out how to add on more (I have the instructions but I think I'm missing a step somewhere)

Suze~ Thank you for that info. I purchased a circular needle today. I'm trying to get the hang of it. It's a bit arkward at first.
I'm not sure how long the blanket is. To be honest. I casted on, knitted mayb3 90 stitches and I've been doing a purl knit since. The first trial knit I did, turned out okay (although I have no clue what it is, but I doesn't seem like the blanket is wide enough. I'm sure if I keep knitting it'll become longer, just not wider, correct?

Thank you both for helping. I've read all kinds of directions online and in books, but it doesn't help like an actual person.
AvnArmyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Hi!
do not get overwhelmed with projects. Especially as a (relative) beginner, the feeling of quick success is important in taking on the next project.
Be your own psychologist: Give yourself the good feeling of "making it", then start over on your next project. Your confidence will grow.

For that next blanket you want to do, you can already start the planning, though.

I looked at the logo of the Denver Broncos. This is doable if you know about knitting with different colors. You can do a stranded work or intarsia work (depending on the size of the logo(s))

My question is: you you really want that picture in the blanket? It might be a lot for an intermediate knitter....
Might the blanket be perfect with just the colors? in blocks or stripes? That would be a lot easier. blue orange and white seem to be all you need. Or just blue and orange.
The other thing might be to do the writing of the name as intasia... let us know where your plans run to.

The other thing that WOULD be a fun team blanket would be to design the blanket like a team shirt, with the number and the name on it and the design features of the season shirts... (like the back of this shirt: shirt)

Sorry, I live far away from Denver (in Germany actually), so I do not know the player I linked the shirt of. Maybe that is the wrong player to be a fan of or something... just take it easy with me on this.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Isn't there an online program that will take images and make them into knitting patterns. I swear that someone had posted something about that a few months ago.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Measure your sts on the needle to see how many per inch, then divide that into the 90 sts - that will give you an estimate how wide it is. If you have more than 3 sts per inch (very likely) it's less than 30"; if you have 4 sts in an inch then it's only 22" wide. So maybe you need at least 100 or 120 stitches and that makes the width of the blanket.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

measuring the total width of a piece of knitting is hard, when it is still close to the needle. It is easier on circulars, if you have the space to spread it out, but close to the needle the measure is often inacurate.

Measuring the stitches per inch will give you a good calculation, so: do what suzee said (that is ALWAYS a good advice!!!)

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

If the current blanket seems too small, your friend can always use it inside a baby carrier or car seat to pad the baby and wrap it around the buckles to keep him/her warm. It will also make a great lightweight, small blanket for covering up while nursing.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
TrueIconoclast
1st Leg of the Journey

Re: baby blanket
Well, if you're only on your third row in the baby blanket, then it will widen a little, but not by a considerable amount. It will widen just enough to make it harder for you to work with on the needles without actually giving the appearance of a wider blanket lol. And don't forget that you can always make 2 identical panels for the baby blanket and then seam them together.

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TrueIconoclast

TrueIconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrueIconoclast For This Useful Post:
HSRCampbell (12-31-2010)