Old 12-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
carrying yarn up in the round
I started a http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/turn-a-square and I'm trying to carry the yarn up the back as recommended, but I'm doing something wrong as you can see a sort of vertical bar of the carried color on the right side. I thought you just twist them at the beginning of the rounds, but that's making that unsightly bar. Is there another method for this in the round? Also, on flat knitting, you'd normally only twist every 2 rows typically (RS rows) so would I do every other row on knitting in the round then too?

Thanks!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It shouldn't show on the front if they're twisted on the ws. You might try these methods for making jogless stripes in the round. That may help the yarn showing on the RS problem.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEff10/FEATff10TT.php
http://techknitting.blogspot.com/200...s-stripes.html
http://techknitting.blogspot.com/200...ay-5-2009.html

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
boyforpele13 (12-21-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
Thanks, Sue!

I am doing one of those techniques, the pulling up the stitch from the row before and doing K2tog, but I think the vertical bar is from how I'm twisting... When I am at the beginning of round, say I have the carried color underneath and the working yarn on the needle, of course, do I just give them a twist like clockwise or counter-clockwise or is there some other twist I should be doing?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Twist them whichever direction won't show on the RS, but not 'under' the other yarn, maybe that's why it shows. Keep it loose, maybe you're twisting too tight, or it's too frequent.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
boyforpele13 (12-22-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
When I knit in the round, I don't twist them at all. At most I make sure the yarn that's not in use is on top of the yarn that is in use so it gets held to the side, but that's only if they'll be a longish loop otherwise.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

I re-read and he actually said only on color change rounds so I was definitely doing it too frequently. It's working out now, but now I have another problem. I have been doing the jogless stripes, which have been working great (the method where you pick up the stitch from the round below and k2tog) and he says this at the crown shaping:

SHAPE SQUARE-CROWN
If you have been working the jogless stripes technique, it will no longer be necessary for the remainder of the project.

I tried to not do it, but I wind up with a huge hole at the beginning of round if I don't do it.... why wouldn't it be necessary anymore/what am I doing wrong? I think it has something to do with the decreases since if you have a color change round before the decrease round, you'll wind up picking one up and doing a k3tog and maybe mess up the square/color thing, but I'd rather have messed up color than a huge hole every few rounds. :(

Thanks again!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I don't know why you don't need to do anything about the jogs anymore, but since he says that I would trust him. What I saw was that you K2tog at the beginning of the round, and at the end you do a SSK so that they come together like the other decrease corners with a SSK to the right and a K2tog at the left. Did you try doing that first decrease, and especially that last decrease tightly to pull them together and prevent holes. I would think it could want to gape there if you gave it half a chance. Or maybe the first normal and the last tight.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:57 AM   #8
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Hi!
when you carry up a yarn within the fabric (in the middle of a piece or when working in the round), you should not twist each round. Either you twist more than just 1/2 time, then you have a bulky point, no good.
Or you twist a half time each time and therefore push the carried yarn to the outside and you see that "bar".

twist every 2nd round at most. Then the bar does not show.

I have made the turn a square (but with the decreases opposite to form regular bands... so I basically just took the jogless part and the stripe pattern as well as the measures). I did not twist at all. The stripes are that small that it does not really matter.

Side note: The hat designs of Jared Flood are GREAT!
I made the turn-a-square, the Koolhaas and the cable desgin one (name? Habitat, I think). I loved them all and will make them all again!

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyperactive For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

The carrying is working out just fine now, it looks just like the picture he posted of it in the pattern, but the color changing is bad after the crown... I'm going to frog back and try again without doing the jog method I guess and see if maybe it comes in on itself after a few decrease rounds and I'll try to make them snugger. I have made a few of his hats already, I'm sure he's correct, it just doesn't make sense to me. :( I have a huge hole where the jogless joins should be every color change...

Thanks all!

Old 12-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

jogless joints I find hard. That is one of the miracles of knitting I have not fully gotten under controll - but I wish I had.
I think, moving the start of round over one by one is easier... but as I said: I am no master there.

Which hats of his have you made?

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote