Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

How much % do you expect to get if you put your knits in a shop to sell?
Hi! I've just been offered to put my knit things (hats mostly, some scarves, fingerless mits etc) in a place a friend is going to try and turn into a crafts shop. Small town, not a lot of action but probably will be a few holiday buyers. I was surprised when she said it would be
60/40, 60% for me. But, in addition she asked me to lower my prices.

My hats are beautiful, some with Twinkle's yarn, some Noro, great designs. One hat I had priced at $55 (the Twinkle). If I reduce the price AND only get 60%, geez, it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Etsy might be better.

Just wondered if this is normal, this percentage. Another store in a different town here wanted only 3% if you can believe that!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Honestly, you're probably never going to get what you think it's worth. Put yourself in the buyers place...they want deals and often couldn't care less about hand made items.

If you decided to do it, do it for the thrill of seeing your stuff sell not for the money you'll make.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I agree with Jan, most people aren't as knowledgeable about the 'good' yarns as we are, so may not appreciate the price you need to charge. You may do better selling direct, or with some less expensive yarn. You probably won't get what you think your time and materials are worth even there.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Um, well, the thrill. I had the thrill when I sold a watermelon hat for $60 two years ago. I just want to sell some stuff and make some money. Up here in the Catskills though, handmade and green and all that is very big. A lot of people do seek it out. A lot of people go to Walmart too, ha. The economy's so horrible that the hat I sold for $60 might not sell now. I'm over on Etsy right now, going to try that I think. I just find it very hard to give away a beautiful hat for a small amount of money, I'd rather GIVE it away or wear it!

thanks for your input

Old 10-29-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
You're a wonderful knitter and I'm sure all of your knitted items are worth every penny you're asking. However, if you put your knits into an Etsy or Ebay arena...make sure that the patterns you used are your own designs. Gulp. I'm sure you know all about copyright issues, so I won't bore you with the details. But when your knits hit the 'internet'...a pattern that is not of your own design might bring trouble your way.

Best wishes! Keep trying at the local crafts shop. Try to knit things that don't take a lot of time...and use yarns that are not expensive. When you knit 'for money' you can cut corners. When you knit for pleasure and for love...you can knit THE BEST.

Knitting for profit is a different animal. Knit fast, knit cheap. Sell a lot. Move the goods quickly.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Thanks artlady for reminding me of that. I do tend to make up myown designs, departing from very tradtional types of patterns.

The one thing I want to avoid is sitting there churning out cheap stuff fast, I'd just rather not do it. I want to try and make really unique items and if they sell, ok, if not, I'll give it up and just keep the stuff myself or give to friends and family. My "artist" half is a lot stronger than my business self I guess.

Here's an example of a design I did that I love.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/60096224...elebration-hat

I tried to put a photo here direct from my computer but I'm still learning the MacBook basics and couldn't reduce the bytes!
See, hopeless at business.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
squizzer99
Casting On

That hat is so way expensive
squizzer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
CoolWool
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by squizzer99 View Post
That hat is so way expensive
Wow.

I'd never heard of Etsy before. Interesting venue to sell your stuff! I agree with suzeeq - about using the nicest yarn and spending a lot of time and folks not understanding the value of a hand-knit item. Best of luck to you though. I love the colors you used in that hat, the yarn looks so soft, and it's a cute design! I can understand why you charged what you did.

CoolWool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

honestly I will not knit for money.
I totally understand every cent you want for your design, the yarn, the work.
But honestly... it will be few people who are willing to pay that.

It is not fair: if you are a "name designer", you can sell acrylic **** for a lot of cash. Just because of your name.
But if you are an artist in your field, people will compare the funtion of what you make (hat, e.g.) to the prices at Walmart or JC Penny. And honestly, that is not a comparison.

If you find shops that sell for your price or a reasonable price... GREAT! Take every penny you make.
If not, consider if it is worth putting the effort and money into it.

I see in these artist shops, that a professional presentation helps to up the price. A tag with the artist name and logo, material description and wash instructions, maybe a website... stuff like that. An identity.

My yarn shop sells handknit items. There are a lot of hats and scarf there right now. They have a clever way of posting it: "price for scarf 15 Euros, price for yarn for this scarf: 10 Euros".
But of course they do sell the yarn and the pattern right there.
But their price is always: 50 % more than the yarn price.

Personally I will not sell items for that price (well, maybe egg warmers, mini-toys and such...)... but really: no.

I do not know many people that would spend 44 $ on that hat. Not because they would not like it, but because they can't spare the 44 $ in exchange for a hat.

My aunt bought a bolero jacket off me for a good price. And she would have bought it off someone else for that price, it really wasn't a family bonus. But she is really into this kind of thing and values the work. She gave me trippel the yarn price, which is really good. That, though, is my only sale.

If you do not need to make money but you just like the selling at those prices: enjoy equipping the craft stores and cherish the sales you get.
If you need to make money or make money back of those projects: you need to sell more that you made for less.
That is the "selling out" trap, artists get into far too much. I am sorry.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Cool Wool... Thanks! Yes, it is a reasonable price. Down the street by my house (here in Manhattan) at Barney's they are selling hats like this for $175. And in Brooklyn at Pipsqueak Chapeau, wonderful handknit items, a hat is $100 and not as fancy as mine. All depends on where you are located I guess.