Old 12-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
JLynn
Ribbing the Cuff

Needles
Would like to know what would be better for a beginner, wood, metal, fiberglass or plastic needles? The reason for this I have metal ones and I am having problems when I try to do a st. I can not get enough pressure on the loop that I am knitting into to keep it from slipping off the left needle.
JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Everyone has a different preference and many of us use all types of materials, different ones for different yarns. You may have a slippery yarn so a plastic/acrylic or wood needle may be better for you to use with this type of yarn as they're more 'grippy'. If you have a grippy yarn such as cotton, that would be better with a metal needle.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I found wood/bamboo easiest when I was a beginner, but now I prefer metal.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
JLynn
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you both for the replies, after I had posted I did a search on needles and found the same advise that it depends on the yarn.

I guess what I need to do first is do a search here before I post to see if I can find my answer, I just hate to repost on something that has been posted before.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by JLynn View Post
Thank you both for the replies, after I had posted I did a search on needles and found the same advise that it depends on the yarn.

I guess what I need to do first is do a search here before I post to see if I can find my answer, I just hate to repost on something that has been posted before.
Searching is always good because there is a wealth of information in old posts, but feel free to post if you need to.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
I am a new knitter and I have to say I am favoring acrylics (straight and interchangable circs) right now. I do prefer my dpns in wood though because knitting in the round is hard for me still and the wood helps me keep everything snug on the needles, not slipping around and confusing me. I have very few metal needles now, I returned most of them. I tend to only buy where returns are easy, like Jo-Ann's. They have a good return policy or online with Amazon with Prime only. I'm not experienced enough to know what is best for me until I try it and I'm not rich so I have to ensure I can return something if it doesn't work for me.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
JLynn
Ribbing the Cuff

Breezed I know what you mean, I am in the same boat need to make sure that if I don't like something I can take it back for a refund, another place that is a no hassel is Hobby Lobby.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I found wood/bamboo easiest when I was a beginner, but now I prefer metal.
Me, too.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
sheba
Casting On

beginner knitter
I am a beginner knitter and have been knitting a little over a year.I agree with Jan in CA. I used the bamboo needles when I first began learning they do not slip around as the alluminum ones or(metal ones do.Now that I am use to knitting I like to use metal depending on my project. I would love to answer any questions you have givien I know the answer. Sheila
sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
See, this is such a matter of preference. I notice a lot of people like working on bamboo and wood when I started. I hated it. I find that it grips too much for me and I end up with really tight stitches. And when I first started knitting I was so tense to begin with that it made it impossible for me to get into the stitches.

When I first started I liked working on the Susan Bates Aluminum needles. I found that they were grippy enough to keep the stitches on, but they were loose too. I would never have knit on something like Addi Turbos or Options when I first started. I'd have lost stitches everywhere.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote