Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
CoolWool
1st Leg of the Journey

Q about knitting groups.
I've been looking for a knitting group in town. Heard that a LYS hosted one at Barnes & Noble. Went to the shop today and they only thing they said they offer are classes. The woman I spoke with told me about a group that meets one night per week at the shop and it's "bring your own pattern." I thought it was a free group but it turns out its $10 for each two-hr session. ?? It would be nice to meet some other local knitters but $10 sounds a little steep for something that sounds like a "get-together". Any thoughts?

CoolWool is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
I wanted to meet some knitters as well and went looking for a group not a class but being in SW FL it's not so easy. I found only one and they host it at the LYS but to participate you have to have purchased the yarn at THAT store specifically. I was disappointed I couldn't find a real social gathering knitting group close to me that is not affiliated with a LYS to simply profit from it.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
A knitting group that charges a fee?? Weird.

I know meet at my LYS weekly, but I originally found a few people to knit with here in the nearby knitters group:
http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/

Or you might try one of these.
http://stitchnbitch.org/
http://knitting.meetup.com/
http://www.dailyknitter.com/local.php

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Start your own group. Place an ad in the local paper and meet in a public place. There may be a lot of others that want the same thing you do without having to pay a fee.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

You might check Yahoo Groups. Often, there are location-specific knitting groups on there that have regular face-to-face stitch-n-b!tch meetings set up as well. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
I found a local knitting group on meetup.com. It's a website for finding community groups for any common interest. You'll probably find something at least a little bit local.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Check out your local library & see if they have any knitting classes/groups. Ours has one for knitters and one for crocheters.

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

I agree with Jan. My knitting group here met through Meetup.com and we have so much fun. We've been meeting for about a year now and there are four of us who are regulars and we usually get one or two new knitters a week who may or may not come back. We currently have a lady from Estonia who is visiting her 95 year old aunt who lives here in Savannah. I've heard of Estonian Lace, but this woman is amazing! She's in her mid to late 60's and knits lace by heart, no pattern needed! She's been knitting since she was 3! Her shawls are absolutely gorgeous and you can pull a full sized shawl through a wedding ring...no joke! Her name is Tiuu and she will be here about one more month, then she's going to Canada to visit another aunt. I sure would love to learn the Estonian technique but I'm not very lucky with lace. A knitting group is great fun and you can really meet some excellent knitters! I took some pictures of her shawls with my phone, but I can't figure out how to transfer them, if that's even possible. I'm going to take my little digital camera to our next meeting and I'll take some pictures that I can post here. How I envy her work!! I digress....advertise on Meetup.com or just put an ad in your local paper. It may take a while, but sooner or later, you'll have yourself a little group to knit with.
Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society. Benjamin Franklin

Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
MaureenPileggi
Casting On

I agree, start you own!
Match up is a good idea. Or, if you go to a church you could post a message in the bulletin. Somebody started a group at my parish but they meet during the day when I'm at work. I've been considering trying to get a group together in the evenings.
MaureenPileggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
CoolWool
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Sknitter56 View Post
Her shawls are absolutely gorgeous and you can pull a full sized shawl through a wedding ring...no joke!
Wow!! That sounds awesome... I'd love to see her work.

Yeah, I tried to start my own group at my house with people I knew and put a shout-out to all of my FB friends. The only replies I got were from my step-sisters. They came over one day and when one of them found out she couldn't knit a blanket with novelty yarn (on her first day of knitting), she gave up and never came back. So that didn't work out.

I wouldn't mind starting a group with strangers, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a good public spot to host in. I was reading in the SnB that it should be a non-crowded cafe-type that doesn't mind if you take up chairs and nurse a drink all night. The only "cafes" we have in town are Barnes & Noble which is ALWAYS PACKED and Panera Bread which is ALSO always packed.

CoolWool is offline   Reply With Quote