Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
crysmiu
Casting On

Beginner at kniting, wanting to make an infinity scarf +
i went to the artstore today, and a girl told me to get 16" circular needles, but i'm searching online and everyone is using longer ones (like 47"??) I want to make something like this shape:

any guidance, please? do i need to go back and exchange needle sizes? THANKS IN ADVANCE
crysmiu is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, get a longer one. A 16" is okay for a cowl, maybe that's what she was thinking. But for a longer one, the sts won't be so crowded if you get one about 30" or so. You don't need one as long a 40 or 47", the extra length of the cord tends to get in the way, and one that's around 29 or 32" is a lot more versatile for other projects, like sweaters or smaller blankets.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
crysmiu
Casting On

thanks, suzee for your reply. do you think this pattern is too advanced for a beginner? (i've never knitted before)

http://www.knittedbliss.com/2010/11/...olm-scarf.html
crysmiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Well, I would suggest that first you get some inexpensive yarn to practice on. You're going to need to learn to knit and purl in the same row, yarn overs and decreases (k2tog and ssk/sl sl knit). Knitting in the round isn't hard, but without knowing how to do the basic sts in the pattern too well, it's one more thing to learn all at once. Even experienced knitters sometimes practice stitch patterns or a new technique on a sample piece before tackling a project.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
katelynlapan
Casting On

help!
I also am a beginner at knitting. I have done a regular knit stitch for a while and can sort of do a pearl stitch/ double seed stitch. I want to make an infinity scarf but with regular needles and only a regular knit stitch. Will this look okay? I was considering using a bigger gauge (I am using size 11/ 8mm right now) and maybe double the string?
katelynlapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,806 Times in 7,165 Posts
Is this the scarf you're talking about? There are others with the term "infinity" in them so I'm not sure.
http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/infinity-scarf

You can make it any way you want..there are no knitting police. It won't look like the picture though other than shape if you don't make it like the pattern. As for yarn.. The yarn called for is an Aran weight which is a heavy worsted/worsted. If you double the yarn you'll get a bigger scarf. It's okay to use worsted weight. If it needs to be longer just make it longer. Scarves are pretty forgiving.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Usually you can use larger needles and it'll be okay, maybe a bit looser, but that's fine in a scarf. What you can do is make a long scarf, then sew the ends together, you can also do a half twist in the scarf to make a mobius loop infinity one.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
boomanahi
Casting On

i need helllpp!!
i am a new knitter and ive been trying to knit an infinity scarf. im using size 13 circle needles and a medium yarn. when i cast on everything is fine, but when i join the threads together and put a placemarker and i try to start knitting the yarn gets so tight after i knit that it wont slide on the needles and i cant go past the 3rd knit. i also tried to make my cast ons really loose but i get the same results. is it my yarn? or needles? or am i just not doing something right?
boomanahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Hi, glad to have you join us.

I think your needle might be a little too long for the stitches you have at the moment. You can look on the Advanced Techniques page for the Magic Loop technique, though you might only need to use the single loop version for a few rounds, then your stitches should fit a little better. Basically, pull out the cord between 2 sts about 2/3 of the way around, making a loop in it. That 'shortens' the cord so the stitches won't be stretched out. Then knit to the loop and do it again. After you have 4 or 5 rounds, you might not need to make the loop. Here's a video to help you out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyd0BkKC8tU

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
boomanahi (09-07-2012), Christinechrstms1 (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Skype™ to Christinechrstms1
what a great trick Suzeeq thank you for posting that link!
Christinechrstms1 is offline   Reply With Quote