Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
Yeah, you must post a pic!!! I know I would love to see how it turned out!!!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Originally Posted by TrueIconoclast View Post
Wow Sapphire, you've only been knitting since September and you're almost done with a sweater? That's impressive.....I haven't started on any kind of shaping whatsoever yet. Congratulations!

Take care!
I knit my first pullover after 3 mos of knitting. It was a top down raglan and was very easy.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
TrueIconoclast (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 02:11 AM   #13
MindySue19
Casting On

Hi Ghostess,
just like you are, I am also in my first few weeks of knitting.

The learning new things can be tough, but once you "get" them (and you WILL be amazed at how fast you learn things ...especially with the help that the people in this forum give!!)

But, before you have practiced everything for what seems like a million stiches, my advice to you is: Don't take things apart early on because you made a little mistake or dropped a stitch, or 'cause in your eyes it looks like crap (I thought I was going to be an AWFUL knitter!) ...Or I used to anyway, but then my Gramma told me to "STOP TAKING ALL OF YOUR WORK APART!" ...so I did. And was amazed that once I got going it looked GREAT! I've been knitting for about three weeks now, and I'm doing my first pattern. Which also happens to be the first thing I've made that WAS NOT a square or rectangle! ...lol!

I picked a bath mitt. although I was ready to give up about ten rows in, I decided to just see what would happen if I kept going. I'm almost DONE! It looks really good, and even more important, I love it and am soooo proud of it! I'm done The majority of the actual hand part, I've shaped the thumb, and now I just have to finish shaping the top! But, it WAS difficult!

So another piece of advice for you ...don't jump into a pattern that's beyond your skill level! In this mitt I was doing increases and decreases, knitting into the front and back of the same stitch, knitting two sts together, sewing seams and much more! None of which I'd done before this mitt.

So if you DO start a project that's a lil bit passed ur skill level, just ask lots of questions, and keep on trying! You most likely will finish it, AND learn a LOT in the process!

But, if you're anything like me, and you do pick a harder pattern? ...expect NOT to sleep for a while! I'd leave my knitting on the bedside table when i went to bed, but if I couldn't fall asleep right away, or woke in the middle of the night ...it seemed like I HAD to do it! It was calling my name! (or that may have been audio hallucinations due to a lack of sleep!)
W/E you decide to do, good-luck!
Believe it or not, but they aren't lying when they say it's relaxing! It is! ...Once you get the hang of it!

Oh! & BTW? Don't feel badabout asking a ton of questions! I felt a little silly asking as many as I did, but I quickly found out that people don't mind helping a beginner out! Especially the moderators! They are GREAT! True little knitting angels <3 They are okay with answering all of your questions (and, usually it's done VERY quickly). Plus, they are PROs at breaking things done for us newbies and explaining everything very thouroughly!

Sooo ...trust the pattern that you are working and don't feel bad about asking "silly" questions -I've learned that there is no such thing in this forum!

Happy Knitting,
Mindy

p.s. one last recomendation. Keep 2 projects on the go (once you get going that is).
The one that you are following a pattern for, and may be a little bit tough for you.
And the other, a baby blanket or something. You can make a really nice blanket that's very cute for any lil one's in your life.
If you don't know anyone who would like a baby blanket, you could bring it to your local hospital nursery, or womans shelter. They will LOVE it!
This is what you work on when you are on the phone or just wanna relax!
Cast on 100, or so, stitches and go! you can do a garter stitch (knit every row) or a stokinette stich (knit one row, purl one row, knit one row... and so on)
...ENJOY!
MindySue19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MindySue19 For This Useful Post:
TrueIconoclast (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
TrueIconoclast
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I knit my first pullover after 3 mos of knitting. It was a top down raglan and was very easy.
OMG I would so love to knit that! I'm going to look for a pattern now for "top down raglan"

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TrueIconoclast

Last edited by TrueIconoclast : 01-04-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Adding text
TrueIconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
There's some easy pattern generators at www.knittingfool.com and www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html You put in your gauge and the finished size you want and it gives you the pattern. Knitting pure and simple has a tutorial on how it works, you might want to practice with that, I think it'll make a mini sweater or one for a baby.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Yeah, when you start out knitting, you want to watch what you're doing. As you become more experienced, you'll be able to watch the tv or something else more as you knit. Just make sure you stick the needles in the correct place and try not to drop stitches. We all still do drop stitches and there's a way to correct it- even if it starts unraveling! Also, if your yarn slips too much, do what others have mentioned and get some bamboo or wood needles... or get the ones recommended for people with arthritis. Those needles are better for anyone because they lessen the strain on the hands. They're not slick and they can bend slightly (slight enough that you don't really notice but enough that it helps your hands) as well as just being easier to hold onto. Also, if you find yourself having problems, try larger needles. There are several patterns out there that require larger needles, bulky yarn or both!
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #17
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

With the combination of in-person instruction and online videos, I was able to get the hang of things very quickly after a week or two, and I am currently at the point where I'm almost finished my first sweater. I believe that if I could do it, anyone can (I'm a slow learner up to a point).

Sapphire,

May I ask what pattern you are using for your first sweater??? I am looking for easy sweater patterns and saw your post.

Thanks, knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #18
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
You know, knitcindy, if you're wanting to do a sweater... I'd say do the top-down raglan someone else did. Raglan increases/decreases are easy to do and other than that, there's not a lot of shaping to the thing! That should be easy enough...
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote