Old 12-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
LStetz
Casting On

VERY NEW IN KNITTING

I have never knitted before, back in grade school which was a very long time ago, made pot holders, type in and our with what ever was used.

I would like to learn how to knit but have no idea where to start

I was told that free patterns are available, but that does not help me, where do I get started and how?

Lisa
LStetz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
CoolWool
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by LStetz View Post
I would like to learn how to knit but have no idea where to start

I was told that free patterns are available, but that does not help me, where do I get started and how?

Lisa
Hello! I just taught myself a few months ago. I started out by going to my local bookstore and buying "Stitch and Bitch." This is a book with a sense of humor that tells you everything you need to know about yarn, needles, etc. It also has three beginning projects with detailed instructions that build on one another. (My only gripe about this book is that I wish those projects continued evolving. Instead she moves you right on to patterns after those three and you're on your own.)

Now the actual knitting process, like casting on, knit and purl, etc. - I couldn't pick up from the illustrations. Instead I went to youtube and just watched videos of whatever I was trying to do and that's how I learned.

I bought a second "how to knit" book called "Chicks with Sticks" because it had a beginning sweater shell in it that had detailed instructions. It's a beautiful book. I really liked the felted clutch pattern which SnB didn't have.

There are a lot of good "how to" videos on this website too - - but the one's I've watched so far have no sound. I like the youtube videos because you can hear them talking about what they're doing. They'll give you tips as they knit, like "be careful not to..." etc.

If I did it, so can you!! Happy knitting!

CoolWool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
You'll need needles and yarn. I recommend US 8 or 9 needles, and a worsted weight smooth (not fuzzy or furry), light colored yarn.

There are videos linked at the tab at the top of the page. Look at the cast on page first.. I recommend you learn the knitted cast on to start. Then look at the knitting stitch page. Choose which method works for you..they are both equally good.

Cast on about 30 or 40 stitches and just knit. When you get to the end of the first row turn the work and start again. Keep going. Even if the stitches aren't even and "pretty." That comes with practice.

Also... have patience. It's awkward for everyone when they start so you need to just keep going.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

for learning how to knit you have come to the right place.
Check out the video section up top as recommended.
A personal class in your local yarn shop or community center might be a good starting point aside from that.

And really, what you need to do is: practice.
Sit down with video after video and try that out right away until you get it right.

Basic skills needed:

cast on (any method for now. Details later)
knit stitch
purl stitch
bind off.

Then you are good to go.
Watch the "demo of a small project" video in the video section here. That walks you once through what you need to do to knit a piece.

Once you master your basics you will be ready to start on projects. Potholders, dishcloth and scarfs are the usual suspects, but really, there are sooo many patterns out there. We will help you find one that suits you and that does not need more than listed above (maybe not even the purl stitch).

It will all come back to you quickly since you once did it.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
In addition to the videos here, you can look through your local library before buying a book, to see what would be a good one to have. Some people learn better from still pictures, others from videos, but you don't need to buy anything but needles and yarn to start with.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #6
Sapphire
Casting On

I learned to knit by taking a knitting class. I also supplemented my knowledge by watching videos (such as those here on knittinghelp.com and also on youtube).

I find that for learning a new skill, it helps if I'm shown in person. Are you able to take a class at all? I took a class at a local yarn shop. You may want to look at yarn stores or even general craft stores in your area if taking a class interests you. I found it very helpful for me.
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
Ok, so what I recommend is that you go to Wal-Mart and get your yarn and needles. For your yarn, I would get something caron simply soft, because it is super soft on your fingers and knits easily. I would say get maybe a size 9 or 10 pair of needles. Having bigger needles will help you to see your work better, and will help you in distinguishing between stitches. The next step I would say, would be watching videos on here. Start with the casting on videos. I would recommend starting with the backward loop cast on. It's really easy to learn. From there, I would work on the knit stitch, and once you've conquered that, move on to the purl stitch. And move from there. And of course, if you have any questions, come ask for help here on the forum. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
hw13
Ribbing the Cuff

I just started knitting on the 24th. I found this site and watched the videos a few times.

I bought some yarn and a pair of needles and started making a scarf (all in knit sts) I finished the scarf last night and gave it to my mother. It had a few boo boos in it but she like it.

I am now on to my second scarf which will be all purl sts. When thats done, my third scarf (the one I really want for me) will be a k1, p1 pattern.

Once I figure all of this out, I will be moving on to more interesting things.
hw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

I disagree with using the backward loop Cast on. While easy to do, it's difficult to knit into and will usually cause extra yarn to form between the sts and the edge isn't very stable. I think the knit CO is better as it's the same motions needed for the knit stitch and while a little loose, it makes a better edge.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
I am now on to my second scarf which will be all purl sts
If you purl every st on every row, you'll get garter stitch, just like when you knit every st on every row. If you mean to alternate a row of knits with a row of purls that's fine, but you need to do the first few rows and the first and last 4 or 5 sts in garter st to keep it from curling up on you.