Old 12-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
cp0421
Casting On

Decreasing on a 2x2 Rib Pattern
Hi!

I am currently working on a neck sock (like a scarf but all connected in the round so no loose tails to bug my bf) with a simple pattern:

Knit 2, Purl 2 for 2 1/2 inches
Knit for 9 inches (or more)
Knit 2, Purl 2 for 4 inches

I realized that I cast on far too many stiches a couple rows into the ribbing.... is it possible to decrease with the rib stitch just to get the diameter a bit smaller? All the posts I found on this forum about decreasing while ribbing were for the top of a hat. My goal is to keep the pattern of ribbing while decreasing....

I'd really hate to rip out what I've got so far........
cp0421 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,126 Times in 2,835 Posts
If you know that you've cast on more stitches than the pattern called for, then you do need to make an adjustment. Difficult as it may seem, it's probably best to start again. After all you're only a few rows into the project and believe me, you'll be happier in the end that you did.
If you cast on the correct number of stitches, it may be that it's just too soon to judge the size of the neck sock (or cowl) and just press on with the pattern. The ribbing will tighten up as you knit more and it will be easier to judge the diameter.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Lilke Salmonmac said, if you've only done 3-4 rows it's too soon to say how big around your circle is going to turn out. Amazingly ribbing will tighten up after an inch or so.

If you've got an inch, and still think it's too big, you could say decrease every other p2 so your pattern turned into:
k2 p2 k2 p1 k2 p2 k2 p1
or some other evenly distributed decrease that would change your ribbing pattern.

It's not a bad idea to have the bottom of a cowl/gaiter/neck sock as you call it (creative name, by the way!) type pattern larger then the top opening.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
cp0421
Casting On

Thanks!
Thanks for the advice....I did cave in and tear the whole thing out and start over. I just finished it yesterday and it turned out great. Thanks again!
cp0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

if you want to keep what you have, you can make the ribs disappear where needed.
the key is, to decrease so it becomes a line again, but it will be visible that is definite.

How many stitches do you have and how many do you want?

I would work the decreases in equal spots. (like once every quater, or even more often). Now you make one of the knit ribs "eat up" the neigboring purl ribs. on the left side, you knit 2 tog using the 2nd purl of the rib before. on the right side you ssk using the 2nd knit stitch of a rib and the first purl of the next rib.

that you do 4 times, then you ate up the 2 purl stitches and the 2 knit stitches to that side (of course you will not always use purls that disappear).

you can do that both left and right of the same rib or maybe on different ribs, but I would do equal amounts to the right and to the left to built symmetry.

the other option would be to finish the ribbing the way it is and then decrease on the knit section (first or second round). That will make the thing "rest" nicely flared on your shoulders.

PS: Some call them cowl or neckwarmer.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,126 Times in 2,835 Posts
Originally Posted by cp0421 View Post
Thanks for the advice....I did cave in and tear the whole thing out and start over. I just finished it yesterday and it turned out great. Thanks again!
I'm delighted it turned out well. Good for you!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote