Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
1. Finish the few projects I have on my needles (OU hat, hat/glove/scarf set, my girl's UT hat)

2. Of course to accomplish all that I have to learn to knit finger-gloves.

3. I want to knit something for myself that is NOT a simple neck gaiter. I want to knit a sweater. Just for me. In colours I like and a style I like that is not just off the rack that everyone has.

4. Knit a pair of socks for the hubster. He wants some good socks that don't make his feet sweat but are super comfy. He's found some he's going to try through Under Armor, but if I can make some similar, I'd rather do that for him.
Ok, I just saw that you're making an OU hat. Are you from Oklahoma?????? If so, I'm from the Tulsa part. I just moved here from GA almost 9 months ago to be with my gf, and have been wondering if there were any fellow OK knitters out here. Sorry to get off topic for the rest of you reading it, I just got super excited lol.
Ok, so my knitting resolutions is to finish the scarf that I'm working on. Next, I want to learn to make gloves. After that, I want to make a hat to match the scarf and the gloves. Then, I want to try to make a sweater. And last but not least, I want to learn to make socks. Oh, and I also want to take more time out of each day to work on my knitting. With so many projects that I'm wanting to try, goodness knows that I'll need it lol. So, expect to see me in the how to section a lot asking questions as I will be learning a lot of new things lol.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #12
TrueIconoclast
1st Leg of the Journey

I want to....
That's a very good question! This year, I want to:

1) Learn how to increase beyond YO
2) Learn how to decrease beyond K2Tog/P2Tog
3) Learn to use DPN's and circulars
4) Learn intarsia

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TrueIconoclast

TrueIconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:45 AM   #13
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Wait..that's what resolutions are? I thought they were things we promise, but have no intention of keeping even though we can.

That's true of all my OTHER resolutions! (losing weight, getting my house organized, etc.)

Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
As a result, I haven't been taking photos or even making a list of the things I finish off. It would be nice, I think, to have that on hand so I can look back over the year and see my progress. And also it'd be nice to be able to share the pictures with other knitters!
My favorite place to list my knitting and crochet projects is Ravelry!

Originally Posted by CoolWool View Post
.........Start an after-school knitting club in the fall, which of course will be called "COOL WOOL SCHOOL." heh

I teach knitting lessons to kids, and love it! You'll have a blast. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Smee View Post
.........Knit a pair of socks for the hubster.
Silver's Sock Tutorial will help with that one.

Originally Posted by TEMA View Post
To not listen to that not so quiet voice that tells me I can't possibly do it when, in the end, I can.

Originally Posted by Daylilydayzed View Post
....Learn to knit socks
Silver's Sock Tutorial

Originally Posted by Daylilydayzed View Post
Knit something for me out of my ball of yarn called Daylily
Cool!

Originally Posted by TrueIconoclast View Post
Learn how to increase beyond YO.........Learn how to decrease beyond K2Tog/P2Tog

You'll see illustrations and videos on all sorts of increases and decreases here on the KH website. Amy did a great job of putting them together on their own page!
Increases
Decreases

Learn to use DPN's and circulars

A great way to learn to use both is to make a hat in the round. You start off at the bottom of the hat on a 16 inch circular, then finish off the top on dpns when it gets too small to fit on the circular needles.
I think the hardest part of circular knitting is the very first row, where you join in the round. So, I made a video on YouTube just for that part:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Learn intarsia
Just pick a simple pattern with one design, like a star or a heart, and go for it!
Here's a simple design for making a happy face with a name above it: Happy Faces
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (01-04-2011), twoxover (01-12-2011), Woodi (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #14
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

That's a very good question! This year, I want to:

1) Learn how to increase beyond YO
2) Learn how to decrease beyond K2Tog/P2Tog
3) Learn to use DPN's and circulars
4) Learn intarsia
oooooooooooooooooooh I want to learn how to do insarsia too!!!! Yet another thing to add to my "to learn" list!!!
I need to go ahead and write all of the knitting accomplishments that I want to get done!!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
Woodi
Turning the Heel

I want to resolve to:
- knit something other than scarves and socks, afghans and hats...maybe a sweater? gadzooks, no courage for this, would need a class, or a ....what are those people called who coach you? ...oh yes, a "coach", hehe.
- get up some courage to buy a few things from KnittingDaily site (Interweave mag.)
The last time I tried, there was a silly coincidence of my credit card being hacked the very same day I had placed an order with them. and someone bought themselves a computer and a plane ticket, using my number (not my card, it wasn't stolen). I had accidentally left my purse in a donut shop for a few hours - got it back intact, but someone had cleverly copied my name and numbers, then went online and made some purchases.
So at first I thought the theft was because of my online purchase of Interweave mag and a book.....so I haven't been back there to complete my order (which was cancelled cuz my cc had to be changed). But I sure would like to! - they have the nicest patterns, and teaching videos I've ever seen anywhere!

Anyone else afraid to order from Interweave? maybe I could telephone my order in....
-
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #16
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Thank you so much for posting the video on how to join in the round - it's always been a tough one for me. Much appreciated!
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #17
kittykins
1st Leg of the Journey

Let's see.....
1. Learn to knit with circular needles.
2. Learn to knit with DPN's.
3. Knit some socks and mittens.
I first want to get a good grasp of "knitting in the round" and that I think, is going to open up a whole new world of knitting to me. I've been knitting for decades and still remain intimidated by circular needles and DPN's. I can't explain why!! Well since my precious son bought me a computer, (which I'm slowly getting the hang of), and I found KH, I feel I now have so many wonderful members/friends here that will help me when I stumble. Oh, I think there will be some major stumbling going on.
THE BEST TO EVERYONE IN THE NEW YEAR!
kittykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by kittykins View Post
Let's see.....
1. Learn to knit with circular needles.
2. Learn to knit with DPN's.
3. Knit some socks and mittens.
I first want to get a good grasp of "knitting in the round" and that I think, is going to open up a whole new world of knitting to me. I've been knitting for decades and still remain intimidated by circular needles and DPN's. I can't explain why!! Well since my precious son bought me a computer, (which I'm slowly getting the hang of), and I found KH, I feel I now have so many wonderful members/friends here that will help me when I stumble. Oh, I think there will be some major stumbling going on.
THE BEST TO EVERYONE IN THE NEW YEAR!
Trust me, I know exactly what you mean about dpns and circulars being scary. When I first tried dpns, I thought that I would drop the stitches or something. And all those needles....very intimidating!! But, I started knitting, and didn't drop one stitch! So my best advice to you, is just go for it! You'll be glad that you did!!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Finish everything I start...no matter how frustraiting...

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Originally Posted by Woodi View Post
I want to resolve to: - knit something other than scarves and socks, afghans and hats...maybe a sweater?-
I've knit a few sweaters, but still want to make a cozy one to wear around the house, to keep me warm. Up until now, I was worried about the LOOK of them, instead of the comfort. I think I'll try making one with Bernat Denimstyle on the Bernat Blog. That yarn looks nice and cozy.

Originally Posted by Woodi View Post
Thank you so much for posting the video on how to join in the round - it's always been a tough one for me. Much appreciated!
You're welcome! I love helping people.

Originally Posted by kittykins View Post
I first want to get a good grasp of "knitting in the round" and that I think, is going to open up a whole new world of knitting to me.
Go for it!

Originally Posted by Crycket View Post
Finish everything I start...no matter how frustraiting...
ME TOO!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote