Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #61
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
Give intarsia a try, Breezed! Start out with a simple item. Like a cup cozy, with a heart design. It's not hard at all.

When you try the more complicated ones, here's a tip: If the ends start to get too tangled, just cut a few of the worst ones, leaving enough yarn to weave in the ends later. Then, when it's time to use that color again, just add a new strand. That has helped me a lot when knitting Christmas stockings.

Stocking Back - Lots of Yarns by Shandeh, on Flickr
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
Breezed (07-22-2011)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #62
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
Thanks for the tips Shandeh. I will definitely try it at some point, maybe sooner now.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #63
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
Originally Posted by Breezed View Post
Good job Jen. At least you made a complete pair of socks! I think you'll do gloves just fine. Intarsia frightens me. I don't think I'm ready for that. I guess I can't say I didn't complete cables either. I have practiced making them, and understand it perfectly; I just haven't made a project with cables yet. Also, I'm not sure if my wristbands count, but those are almost lace like. Maybe I'm doing better than I originally thought.
lol oh no. I made ONE sock. I have the other one on needles in my knitting room. I will complete it one day. But right now I'm working on Christmas socks for my Mom along with a bunch of other stuff lol. Sorry if I miss-typed!!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #64
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by crazykntter83 View Post
lol oh no. I made ONE sock. I have the other one on needles in my knitting room. I will complete it one day. But right now I'm working on Christmas socks for my Mom along with a bunch of other stuff lol. Sorry if I miss-typed!!
Me too!!!! My bf keeps asking when I'll wear my new sock, mind you he's taking a jab at me by using the singular tense. He can't believe I won't make the next one right now.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #65
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
lol that's too funny. I went around wearing my one sock for a few hours after I had it done, bc I was just so proud of myself. It had always been one of my really big goals to learn to make socks, so I was so proud of myself for finally being able to do it.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #66
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
Gosh, I remember the first time I knit a sock. Was SO excited!! OMG! I could not BELIEVE that I was able to knit the shape of a HEEL!

Now, you just need to get past the "SSS" (Second Sock Syndrome). Just cast it on, and get past the first few rows to get it going. That will light the fire in your fingers again.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #67
ShanaHoo
1st Leg of the Journey

I don't think I ever posted my resolutions, but they were/are:

1. No buying yarn to start new projects until I finish/start the projects I've already purchased for (aka Chrismas 2010 projects that didn't get finished by Christmas 2010).

2. Knit a sweater (for The Boyfriend, because I've never knit him anything, and he has worn the same sweater to Christmas dinner for the last three years).

I think my cause was lost from the begining because my resolutions are in conflict-- I did not buy yarn to make a sweater before the beginning of the year.

I was doing really well until April (deciding to buy a house this fall and resolving to save save save until then really helped).... and then everyone went and got knocked up. My stash could not spit out three baby blankets.

So, I've got about 5 months to: finish the last (please let it be the last!) baby blanket, 2 full size afghans (one started, one not), two hat/scarf sets, my still unplanned cotton project for my mom that I'm supposed to be working on for the Summer KAL, AND knit Billy's sweater by Christmas.

...You know how some people take a year off from their lives and backpack through Europe, or go build schools in a developing country. I kind of want to do that ...but instead of backpacking or building schools, I want to take a year off from work and sit in my craft room and knit. Twenty-four is almost retirement age, right?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #68
Breezed
Turning the Heel

lol @ Shanahoo - omg I hope it's not 24!!!! I'm 12 years late retiring. No one told ME!

Old 08-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #69
Mazie
1st Leg of the Journey

Father's Day Cardigan from lion brand, I love the look of this sweater.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L0...letterId=55566
Mazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #70
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Mazie View Post
Father's Day Cardigan from lion brand, I love the look of this sweater.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L0...letterId=55566
That's a nice looking sweater!