Old 01-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
MindySue19
Casting On

How do I "Inc 1 st in each of next 2 sts" and MORE!... My FIRST Pattern! ;)
I'd like to start off by saying that if may questions or comments may seem easy and/or obvious to you, it most likely because I've just began knitting! I've been knitting for only a few weeks but have quickly become OBSESSED with it! I have finished ALMOST a dozen projects already. Although most of them came about from trying to learn new things (like reading different patterns and practicing a new stitch) So they are mostly in the form of scarves and baby blankets... I'm still quite proud of myself! I wanted to try something that was NOT in the form of a box! I found this (here's the link... http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=230&cps=99999944 ) I bought this exact yarn. But I'm using 5mm needles instead of the pattern's recomended 5.5mm. But I'm having a few issues with it.

First of all, WS and RS. How do you know which side is right or wrong and why does it matter?

next... It says to "... Inc 1 st in each of next 2 sts. ..." when I look this up all i find is that I am to knit the front and the back of a stitch... How the heck?!? lol! If someone could help me understand how to do this a lil bit better, that'd be GREAT!

"Knit 3 rows even" what do they mean by even? How is this different that "knit 3 rows"?

I have a few more questions about this pattern, but I'll ask them once I get past THIS part! Oh Boy! Thank You ANYone and EVERYone who can help me on this! I know it seems like this pattern mat be a little too much for me, but with all the patterns i've looked at I learned that learning these things are essential to get past the point I seem to be stuck at now. (squares and rectangles!) THANK YOU for helping me and getting me beyond scarves!

Sincerely, Mindy
MindySue19 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/fla...yer/play/120/1

This will show you how to knit into the front and back of a stitch.

The right side is the side that the world sees. it's the outside of a sweater, the patterned side of a scarf, etc. Sometimes in the beginning of a project there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong side. You put a pin or a piece of yarn on the side that you decide is the right side so you can be consistent in following the directions.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
MindySue19 (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
MindySue19
Casting On

So, I'm guessing I was correct when I said this?...

Quote:
It says to "... Inc 1 st in each of next 2 sts. ..." when I look this up all i find is that I am to knit the front and the back of a stitch...

Also, can anyone answer the following?...

Quote:
"Knit 3 rows even" what do they mean by even? How is this different that "knit 3 rows"?

ex: "(RS). K16. Inc 1 st in each of next 2 sts. Knit to end of row. Knit 3 rows even."

Any help would be wonderful and I'd be VERY thankful for it!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
lissaplus2
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to lissaplus2
Quote:
So, I'm guessing I was correct when I said this?...

Quote:
It says to "... Inc 1 st in each of next 2 sts. ..." when I look this up all i find is that I am to knit the front and the back of a stitch...
you are correct. To confuse you even more, there are tons of ways to increase. Some use the stitch and some dont. You have to know which one the pattern wants. or your stitch count will be thrown off.

Quote:
this means knit only, there is no difference between "knit 3 rows" and "Knit 3 rows even" It just means knit with no increasing or anything....just knit all stitches.

lissaplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lissaplus2 For This Useful Post:
MindySue19 (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
MindySue19
Casting On

Quote:
To confuse you even more, there are tons of ways to increase. Some use the stitch and some dont. You have to know which one the pattern wants. or your stitch count will be thrown off.

How would I know which one I am supposed to be using?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
lissaplus2
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to lissaplus2
Quote:
Inc 1 st in each of next 2 sts.
The pattern will tell you normally. If it doesnt, you have to play detective. see the word I have underlined in your directions...It says to increase "in" the next two stitches. So you know you need to be using an increase that uses a stitch.

Do the row...and then count your stitches. Make sure you have the correct amount. If you do...dont sweat the small stuff and go on with your knitting.

lissaplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lissaplus2 For This Useful Post:
MindySue19 (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
When a pattern uses 'knit even' in an instruction it means to knit that many rows or inches without doing decreases or increases like there were in the previous row.

When it uses 'increase IN a stitch' it would mean to use the kfb increase; the others inc between stitches.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
MindySue19 (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
MindySue19
Casting On

WoW! Thank=You everyone for all your help! You're all great! And a lot of the time I find it a bit easier if a few people explain something that I've asked for help with. So thanks to everyone! Sometimes the way something is worded makes it clearer than others, but you have all been very helpful!

But now for a few more questions...

Quote:
ex: "(RS). K16. Inc 1 st in each of next 2 sts. Knit to end of row. Knit 3 rows even."
so for this? after I K16, there are still 20 sts left. Do I kfb into everyother st?

Okay, and then the next paragraph I am having a lil trouble with says;

*the previous paragraph has you ending with 48 sts...

"K29. TURN. Cast on 1 st. K14 (including st on needle after cast on). TURN. Cont on these 14 sts for thumb. Knit 10 rows even."

I have a few querys on this one;
When it says turn, do you turn all your work? even though you are not done knitting the row?
When you are to cast on 1 st? I know very well, how to CO, but I've only ever done it at the beggining of my work... not in the middle! How is this done W/O messing up everything?

Once I understand this portion, then I understand how to knit up the whole thing! YaY! ...Well, I MAY have a question when it's time to make it up, but I'm hoping that it'll just make sense about what I am to do at that point... Then this will be my FIRST pattern I've worked! (other than squares) with the increasing, shaping, and learning how to "K2tog" I can now do SO many other patterns! Although I think I'll stick to this skill level for a lil while

Thank You All!
Sincerely,
Mindy
Old 01-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
"so for this? after I K16, there are still 20 sts left. Do I kfb into everyother st? "

No, k16, kfb, kfb, k18. Then knit 3 rows with no incs (knit even).

When you turn, yes, turn it as if you were at the end of the row. To CO 1 st, knit into the first one but leave it on the needle and put the new st on the needle too.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
MindySue19 (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
MindySue19
Casting On

Quote:
"so for this? after I K16, there are still 20 sts left. Do I kfb into everyother st? "

No, k16, kfb, kfb, k18. Then knit 3 rows with no incs (knit even).
lol, for some reason it seems SO hard on the pattern, but then when someone helps me break it down... it makes me feel a little silly that I needed help with it. Oh well, I guess that's the joy of learning! Thak You so much for helping me with begginer questions, and walking me through it all! You, and this whole site!, are a HUGE help! ...especially to a new knitter!