Old 06-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Odd sock question
Maybe this should have gone in the questions forum, but I wanted to try here first....

So I've been attempting my first pair of socks, and I finally got my first sock done (YAY, right?). Well, not really. It's so embarrassing, I can't even post a picture of it. I have terrible ladders from my DPNs, and I'm going to rip the whole thing out. I can use DPNs just fine on other things, but for some reason on socks I just can't.....do....it.....

So my question is this: I have custom ordered a circular needle with a very short cord and very short tips that should fit the circumference of a sock. Has anyone ever done this? So it would be like knitting a hat, essentially, only I'd have to just take them off to do the heel flap and gusset, then I could put it back on the circular (ONE circular) and finish the tube so I won't have ladders.

Question 2 is, where would I find instructions for these? I find instructions/patterns for 2 circs, magic loop, and DPNs, but I have never seen anyone knit socks on one very short circular like a hat.

Anyone? I'm excited to get the needle in the mail just to try it out and see how it works at least! Maybe it's nonsense and won't even work...

Terri
Azlynn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
hartleystudio
Knitting the Flap

Don't give up on the the dpn's!!!!! I got a ladder on my first sock and never on anything else I knit in the round with dpns. The second sock was a little better and then the third was better still and so on. YOu just need to give a little (ok, sometimes kinda big) tug to the first stitch off each needle and then pull that slack through each stitch and you will be fine. I'm not sure how extra short circs will work, you might have to do the two circs or magic loop thingie, I'm not the one to ask about that. Seriously, don't give up after one try!!!!

Good luck!!

I'm on Etsy when I'm not knitting...

http://www.hartleystudio.etsy.com

I'm Hartleystudio on Ravelry too!!
hartleystudio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hartleystudio For This Useful Post:
Azlynn (06-02-2008)
Old 06-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
of troy
Turning the Heel

don't give up on the sock.. give it a nice long sock in some warm water,(think of it being at the spa, and relaxing!)

then let it drip dry (in a colendar)

when its damp, put it on a sock blocker (google wire hanger sock blockers if you don't yet have a sock blocker..)

when its dry, admire! many imperfections come out in the wash... the sock is over worked and the spa treatment will bet it looking better in no time (take time for your self too!)

Yes, there are practices that need to be worked on, (to knit more evenly, consistantly across the gap between DPN's) but many glaring errors, aren't! they will wash out..

your sock is better knit than you think..

now get to work on its mate!
Azlynn (06-02-2008)
Old 06-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Awww you're all so sweet.

I can't exactly work on it's mate because.....well....other than horrible ladders, I was way off on the sizing, and I made mine fit for a giant. LOL It's so funny. I thought maybe my husband could wear it because he has gigantic feet, but it's even falling off of him (even after washing). I did my practice sock in 100% acryclic crappy yarn because I didn't want to waste my good sock yarn until I got better at it, so there's no shrinkage, unfortunately. I just feel so frustrated, and I didn't enjoy any part of making this sock.

My other problem is....this is even weirder....I knit in the round inside out. I've discovered my problem through helpful people on here, and that's my orientation. BUT, I can't fix it. I just...can't...do it the way I'm supposed to, so I've come to acceptance that I'll have to knit inside out. I wonder if that somehow makes my ladders worse on socks. I guess if that were the case, it would happen on my hats, too, and my hats are just fine. I do the tug thing (to the point that I already have calluses forming), I work so hard on my tension, etc. I just feel frustrated. Maybe I'll try one more before giving up. But I have already ordered a custom short circ. to try anyway, so that could just be my miracle.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
Cirrus
Ribbing the Cuff

I feel your pain!
Azlynn, I've had exactly your same experience. Consider your sock as practice, one step towards being a competent sock knitter. Acrylic would not make a very good sock anyway.

My first pair was gigantic too, and they are wonderful to sleep in on cold winter nights, but they could never be worn anywhere. I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease for them.

As for knitting inside out, I did that too at first. It took me a long time to figure out what I was doing wrong. I don't know if you are the one who posted about this before or not, but you can and should learn to knit on DP's right side out.

You must knit CLOCKWISE around the 3 or 4 needles holding stitches, knitting the stitches off one needle and onto a new empty needle. For your first stitch, you insert your fresh needle into the first stitch on the needle to the left of the needle where the yarn is coming from. You can do it, and it is possible that the ladders you are having are due to the fact that you are knitting the wrong way around.

As for ladders, I knit tightly on the first stitch and then pull the second stitch tight too. I don't have ladder problems.

If you go to your LYS or Michaels and take one lesson, it will help you with this problem and you'll be much happier knowing you are doing it right. Your socks will be wonderful! Don't give up. I know how hard it is!
Cirrus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cirrus For This Useful Post:
Azlynn (06-02-2008)
Old 06-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Holly
Knitting the Flap

I've tried dpns, magic loop and 2 circs, and I think 2 circs has become my favorite :-). I have had no problem with ladders, and I love being able to try on the sock as I go. I also find it easier to get a socks started using 2 circs or magic loop (compared to dpns). However, you will probably find, as I did, that you will have less problem with ladders on your next dpn try -- it really is just a matter of practice. Don't give up now!
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Holly For This Useful Post:
Azlynn (06-02-2008)
Old 06-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
As for knitting inside out, I did that too at first. It took me a long time to figure out what I was doing wrong. I don't know if you are the one who posted about this before or not, but you can and should learn to knit on DP's right side out.

You must knit CLOCKWISE around the 3 or 4 needles holding stitches, knitting the stitches off one needle and onto a new empty needle. For your first stitch, you insert your fresh needle into the first stitch on the needle to the left of the needle where the yarn is coming from. You can do it, and it is possible that the ladders you are having are due to the fact that you are knitting the wrong way around.
I did wonder if that was the reason they're so bad with socks because of the way the stitches have to be arranged on socks versus other projects (I don't move them around like I can on other tube projects).

I don't know how to explain WHY I can't do it. I get the concept, but the problem is....when I join them. it doesn't seem possible to join them any other way. Do I need to join them then go backward and start knitting? Or do you join them somehow the same way you're explaining that you knit? Did that even make sense? LOL I have no idea how to explain my problem any other way. (I am probably the same person that asked this when I first started, but I was just winging it and decided to compensate since I couldn't figure it out)

Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
If you go to your LYS or Michaels and take one lesson, it will help you with this problem and you'll be much happier knowing you are doing it right. Your socks will be wonderful! Don't give up. I know how hard it is!
I would LOVE to go to a LYS or Michael's and take a lesson. I know that would help solve my problem. Unfortunately, I don't have either of those around here. There is one LYS in Albuquerque that I found, but it's impossible for me to get there (can't explain the reasoning behind that). I did watch the video here, and it looked like the ends were being joined at the top, just like I do, so then I just start knitting on the inside, counter-clockwise.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #8
knitlover
Casting On

Azlyn, I SO understand your frustration with double-pointed needles while knitting socks. I love knitting socks, but have never cared much for knitting them on double pointed needles, so I have adapted a pattern which is generally supposed to be knitted on either 4 or 5 needles and knit the sock on a short circular needle, as short as I can find. And, at the moment, my LYS is ordering some size 2,3 and 4 circulars that are (drumroll please!) 9 inches long! Up to this time I have been using - successfully, believe it or not - Addi Turbos - which I love, by the way - in the above mentioned sizes. The way you do it is to simply put stitch markers at the point where you are supposed to change needles. That's really all there is to it. And I know you can do it because I would bet that your feet - or at least the feet you are knitting for - are probably bigger than mine; I wear a size 5 1/2 shoe! NOBODY has feet smaller than that - or at least it doesn't happen very often! Plus, I usually start my socks out flat in order to avoid the moebus problem (did I spell that correctly?) that can develop when you start your sock from the cuff. In other words, I cast on my stitches, however many there are, flat (usually using a needle that is quite a few sizes LARGER that the ones the socks will be knitted on. The reason for that is that you need to have the flexibility in your cast-on row in order to be sure the socks will fit over your foot when they are finished. (of course, if you are knitting toe-up socks, you have to remember to bind off [when you arrive at the last row of the cuff] using a much larger needle than the sock is knitted on, as well - for the same reason. You want to be able to get the sock on and off comfortably. I also try to remember to buy yarn for knitting socks that has built in reinforcement (nylon or polyester something or other) because otherwise you will definitely (and I speak from experience) walk holes in your socks. If there isn't reinforcement built in, you need to buy a reinforcing yarn to use along with your sock yarn on the heels and toes; those are the area where most wear occurs.

I hope I have given you enough direction that you can follow what I am telling you to do. If not, please feel free to write me privately or again on this forum! I will be glad to help as much as possible. I have been knitting for years, love knitting socks and have also taught knitting and crocheting and various other kinds of needlework.

Knitlover
knitlover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlover For This Useful Post:
Azlynn (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 01:56 AM   #9
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

OMG knitlover, I'm so happy to hear from someone who has actually done what I'm hoping to achieve!!!! I didn't know they even made circs that small! They have 9" circs? I'm currently having someone custom make me some that will have very small bamboo needles (2.5 inches), and the tubing in between will be 6 inches long, so in total, they will be 11 inches long. The shortest circ I've been able to find is 12", and they still seem too long because of the needle length. I figured that at least with the shorter needle tips, it would help. Where would I find the 9" ones if my custom ones don't work?

I did actually have the idea to use stitch markers for needle placement and was wondering if that would work, so I appreciate you confirming that. It's wonderful to hear from someone who has done this. I know I should learn DPNs correctly, and I will - someday. I may not learn them for socks, but I WILL learn them because I want to do things the correct way. The way I've been doing socks just hasn't been........fun for me, and I keep seeing people say that if it's not fun, then I shouldn't be doing it. Right? lol

With that said, I am going to try all methods. I'll try DPNs one more time just because I'm not going to give up after only one try. I'll try magic loop, and possibly two circs. But mostly, I REALLY want to try one short circ because that just sounds like the most fun to me. I love knitting hats on one circ, so it seems like it'd be the most similar and the most fun.

Thanks so much for posting!
Terri
Old 06-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #10
boo1
Turning the Heel

Using very short circs >>>
I have a friend who ONLY makes her socks on 12 inch Addis and another who makes hers on 9 inch Hiya Hiya needles for the leg part of the sock. They swear by them!

boo1
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote