Old 01-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
all I really need to do is to make sure that I increase my stitches til the sweater is large enough for my chest.
Yep, isn't that wonderful! When you get to what you think the chest size should be, do try it on, put some of the sts on another needle or scrap yarn. That way you can decide if it's too long to the underarm, too short, too small, too large, and adjust by taking out a few rows or adding more.

If the neck is large, it won't 'block' smaller, that usually stretches or relaxes the sts. You could pick up sts around the neckline and knit a few rows in ribbing to make it smaller though.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #12
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Originally Posted by TEMA View Post
In the end, I decided to keep what I had and to try it doubled.
For one thing the young lady there wasn't really helpful. She'd never heard of heavy worsted weight and she said Aran was a colour not a weight of yarn....
In any case, I looked around at what they had and settled on some black yarn that was a bit thicker but wasn't really soft... cheap yarn at $3.00 a ball.... and there was not two colours of grey in the offing.
So I decided to keep my yarn, double it and see what happens. I don't think I will run out because I bot extra to being with and if I do, I shall make do with other blacks and greys I have in my stash.
Actually, I decided to start with the black from my stash for the neck and work into the other black after that. The first black has little shots of coloured yarn thru it so it will look totally different and I see nothing wrong with that.
Stay tuned....
I hate to say this but a lot of people at Michael's and Hobby Lobby don't seem to know a whole lot... or maybe they know crafts but not the ones you do. Yeah... omg, here especially... I swear NO ONE knits or sews... unless it's a quilt... quilting is big here... Do test swatches. Doubling yarn and changing needle size both will change your gauge. If it's off a little, try changing needle size!

Also, mixing up yarns can make it visually more interesting, so go ahead and try it out! Just make sure your gauge is correct on every single different yarn you use (aka: wool-ease will be one gauge test, another brand/type will be another test...)
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

I agree with Mokumegane (sp??) about the salespeople at JoAnn's, Michaels & AC Moore. If I have a question in the yarn department, I will ask another shopper first, rather than a salesperson!! (unless it's a general store question)

AND if another shopper looks like they have questions I ask them what they need help with and help them look!!! This has happened to me quite a lot recently. I have lots of fun.

I've become an "unofficial" part-time helper! (LOL)

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Originally Posted by knitcindy View Post
I agree with Mokumegane (sp??) about the salespeople at JoAnn's, Michaels & AC Moore. If I have a question in the yarn department, I will ask another shopper first, rather than a salesperson!! (unless it's a general store question)

AND if another shopper looks like they have questions I ask them what they need help with and help them look!!! This has happened to me quite a lot recently. I have lots of fun.

I've become an "unofficial" part-time helper! (LOL)

knitcindy
Lol! Yeah, I know! What's sad is sometimes, the people at Walmart know more than them! I know, though, they have the same hiring standards... they're not looking for people with knowledge, really... they're looking for people who can do the average store tasks, so they can pay them less for their time. This is even more true now with how the economy is!

Maybe we should all just stay here and support each other... to heck with those stores! lol
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote