Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Patterns in your knitting bag
I know we've talked about bags and yarns and accessories, but how do you keep your patterns from getting all messed up in your bag?

When I copy (patterns that I own!) a pattern to carry in my bag, I don't necessarily want to carry a bulky folder or notebook, but I also don't want my papers crumpled amidst yarn and needles and whatnot. I've obviously been managing for years, but I have to wonder--is there a better way?

Thoughts?

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry

Last edited by Lisa R. : 01-05-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: needed to fix a typo
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
My bag is pretty large and has room to stick a pattern w/o it getting crushed too badly, but it does get some crinkles. If I didn't write on it as I'm working I'd keep it in a clear sleeve.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Lisa R. (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
If I use patterns, I typically print them out... and don't really care so much if those get crinkled. My cookbooks get kind of ratty looking, too... lol However, my reading books, calligraphy, drawing, metalworking, etc. all look in pristine condition. I think I just realized with knitting and cooking, it's impossible to keep the stuff looking brand new and I just settle for legible and good to use.
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
HSRCampbell
Ribbing the Cuff

While I don't have the problem of a messy knitting bag (yet!) since I still haven't figured out where I can carry these things, I do have splatters and flour dust ALL OVER my cookbooks.

Tangental: It's like the Velveteen Rabbit (a bedtime story): being used, and well-loved, is much better than being pristine. In the story, the toys that were loved by children in the story turn into real animals when the toys get thrown out, and the main story is about a very well-loved little rabbit. It was one of my favorites as a child.

Return to conversation: I have hand-copied the Palindrome (k2, p2 for 5 rows, then the cable row, it's very simple) onto a 3x5 that I stuck in my wallet. I suppose this wouldn't work with a sweater or something, but you could hand-copy, say, the arm that you're working on at the time.
HSRCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
You could set your printer to print on 3x5 index cards, too... The reason I mention this is because I have problems holding pen or pencil for too long... lol... probably others who have this problem, too. Of course, fat pens and pencils work much better!
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
I either print a second "working" copy bc I tend to write or make notes and I don't want those scribbled into my books or originals. I also use a basic thin folder that has a flap on each side and usually has 2-3 small projects in it so I pop it into which ever bag I'm going to be working from. I also never simply bookmark a pattern, I also download it and save it to my backup directory on my computer.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Smee
Casting On

I'm OCD, so I take my notebook. Just a simple 1" 3 ring binder that is right now bursting at the seams that I keep in a tote bag. Each pattern is in a sleeve protector, and I try and keep like-patterns together. I also go through constantly and put in new patterns while taking out ones I printed that I have decided I won't use soon. I also keep a pen and my working spiral notebook that I use to keep track of what I'm project I'm doing, as well as what row I'm on, when I started it, the pattern name, etc. Like I said, OCD.

But I love the idea of the 3x5s. I use that for a lot of recipes that I find, but never thought of using it for knitting. Thank you!
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

I mostly use patterns that I've gotten online (either free or purchased). Rather than printing them out I load the PDF files onto my Kindle, which fits nicely into my purse or knitting bag. This avoids the problem of papers constantly being crushed, plus I can have numerous patterns with me at all times without having to sacrifice an enormous amount of space in my bag. It also cuts down on paper usage (save the trees!) since I would otherwise be re-printing new copies each time I wanted to use a pattern. I also usually have a pen and a mini notepad in my bag as well in case I need to make notes or keep track of where I am in my pattern.
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
I should point out that the one in my knitting bag is a the working copy...I never put the original in there. I write things like keeping track of rows or if I change something, etc on the working copy so need it out of a sleeve.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Fun thread!

I'm ADD or ADHD (as yet undiagnosed) so I have several knitting bags and projects in each one, usually without the copied-out pattern, or if in a bag, all crumpled up.

Imagine the thought of organizing your patterns!???....great idea!
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote