Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
Morning Knitting Ritual
Hey guys. I was just wondering if anyone else had a morning knitting ritual. First I take my dogs out then let my cats out of their den. First I feed the cats(we feed them in the bathroom so they don't get into the dog food and vice versa). Next, I like to get my coffee started and then get my coffee, and have a few sips of it to get my brain functioning, and just knit and drink coffee for a couple hours. Does anybody else have something like this that they do in the morning or any time of the day really? I'd love to hear about it!!!

Last edited by crazykntter83 : 01-04-2011 at 12:01 PM.
crazykntter83 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Nice ritual, Jen!

My morning ritual involves, after a 45-minute meditation 'sit' with hubby (been doing this for years)....

...eating breakfast in front of a full-spectrum light (to avoid the S.A.D. of Canadian winters), followed by a jaunt outdoors filling 9 birdfeeders, a deer bucket, and scattering some seed for doves and turkeys. Dang turkeys are getting messy! It's fun to go out and get a feel for the day, and who is out and about on our property.

then I come in and thaw out with a second cuppa and check emails and online weather, then forums (this one and one soapmaking forum).

After that, I head down to my soaproom/laundry room and get busy making wondrous bars of handmade soap. Sometimes I actually do laundry too!

I don't have a regular knitting time, but do keep a project on the go, next to my favorite living room chair. That's where I relax to between household tasks.

Nice thread topic! I hope more come in here and share their rituals.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
I get up and feed the dog, take my pills, and make coffee. While the coffee is brewing I open the blinds, and clean up in the kitchen if it needs. Then I take my coffee and sit at the computer for a an hour or so checking the forum, facebook, read the news, etc. Then I get my breakfast (oatmeal and juice) and sit at the computer for a little longer if I want. Then it's time to clean myself up and do whatever else needs to be done.. laundry, etc.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

it always takes me a while to get up and get moving. Today it's taken me 3 hours. But then I like to let the dogs play for a while and it's nearly impossible to get anything done while they're out, bc they get into everything. I forgot to add, while I'm waiting for my coffee to be made, I like to sit here and read through the forums. Then usually when my fingers or wrists get sore while I'm knitting, I'll come in here and read and post. This forum is as addictive as knitting itself lol.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
cftwo
Working the Gusset

I take about an hour between breakfast and leaving for work to listen to NPR and either cross-stitch or knit. It's a ritual that really helps me focus/ground myself each day. I tend to get sidetracked from this ritual when I'm off work, and find it's one of the perks of going back to work after a holiday.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

I know what you mean. Knitting helps me to take my mind off of things for a while. And it actually helps me to remain calmer throughout my day. I love it!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Rituals...
Hi!

My morning ritual consists of groping my way to the coffee pot and pushing the button (which can be very difficult for someone still half asleep!), hanging my head over the steam to unstick my eyelids and then FINALLY pouring that first life-giving cup! Yes!

Then I wander to the sofa and curl up with whatever current knitting project I've got going, flip on the TV and catch up on any shows I regularly watch and have pre-recorded (like NCIS, Bones, various Food Network or Cooking Channel shows, etc.). One more cup of coffee (OK, maybe 2!) and I'm at least functional.

My husband sleeps later than I do since he's awake a lot during the night with arthritis pain, so I have a couple of hours before he's up and about looking for breakfast!

Throughout the day I try to grab some time to work on my knitting and I usually get a fair amount done. I've always found that I can tackle the biggest projects even if I only have 10 or 15 minutes at a time to work on them. Leaving things set up so that you can just pick them up when you have a few moments free goes a long way toward getting them done!

I love reading about all the rituals and routines other knitters have. Keep them coming, please!

Happy Knitting New Year!

Ruthie
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

I envy all of your morning rituals! With a job that starts at 8am and a minimum 1hr commute to work, I'm lucky to get myself up and to work on time let alone fitting in some morning knitting!

I do usually make some time to take a break and do a bit of knitting at lunch though ....
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
bambi
Working the Gusset

My morning ritual involves drinking about a liter of black tea and getting my daughter out the door to school.

My knitting ritual is usually at night after my daughter and husband are both tucked in for the night. Sometimes I just browse patterns or yarns and sometimes I actually KNIT!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
Raven Fyre
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to Raven Fyre
How I envy everyone that wakes up and has a moment and doesn't hit the ground running as it were.