Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
CoolWool
1st Leg of the Journey

Why does this keep happening?
Okay so I'm making this hat on DPNs right now. But actually, it doesn't matter what I'm making, because almost EVERY SINGLE TIME I'm knitting in the round - I SCREW IT UP. ALL I HAD TO DO was k6,p3 all around. So everything is fine until I get to row 3 and then I notice - wait - this is wrong. Somehow I've miss counted and didn't catch it and now I'm suddenly trying to stitch over a totally different pattern. Then I never know what to do. Should I keep stitching WRONG or should I undo and try to start OVER or should I just try to jury rig the dang thing and keep going - - - UGH!!!!!!!! I don't understand why it's so difficult to COUNT.

Does this happen to anyone else? What do you do when it does?

Right now, I'm on row 17 and I find I'm just kind of jury rigging it but it just makes me mad.

CoolWool is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
When I'm doing a pattern like that, I like to just first of all try to remember that I'm on either knit or purl. Then I count the stitches. Even if I have to count them out loud. It helps me a lot, though I still manage to lose track sometimes. Hope this helps, I know how frustrating it can be.
The Following User Says Thank You to crazykntter83 For This Useful Post:
CoolWool (01-09-2011)
Old 01-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Check to see if you haven't accidentally made an extra stitch by bringing the yarn over the needle instead of through the middle. But mostly if you just knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts that will keep you on track without having to count them. This thread has some pictures and videso to help identify the knits and purls.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
CoolWool (01-09-2011)
Old 01-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
CoolWool
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Check to see if you haven't accidentally made an extra stitch by bringing the yarn over the needle instead of through the middle. But mostly if you just knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts that will keep you on track without having to count them.
Yeah, that's what I was doing when I realized - wait a minute.. there are too many sts here! It is a possibility though that I have too many sts. And I can't count them now because I changed the CO to make the hat bigger and the inc is wonky and who the heck knows how many sts I'm supposed to have at this point. *sigh* I'm just going to keep on truckin' I guess. It's a dark tweed and it's cabled so maybe nobody will notice all the mistakes.

CoolWool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Here's a tip... a cable pattern is similar to a rib pattern in that there's x knits and y purls on the rows you don't cross the sts. So use the thread I linked to to identify your knits and purls and it should come out okay. If you already know what the knits and purls are, then you're halfway there.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
hw13
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm making my first hat. Also my first time using circs.

I'm having the same problem except I can't seem to not mess up a 2x2 rib. GAH!!!

I can't even get to the third row. LOL. I've restarted 5 times already (6th time starting right now). I'm determined to get this right.

But I gotta say, seeing this thread just made me feel much better. I don't feel like such a dumbass when I know I'm not the only having difficulties.

Well, back to I go. Wish me luck. LOL
hw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Take a look at the link I put into post 3. That shows you how to identify knits and purls and for ribbing you will knit the sts that look like knits, and purl the ones that look like purls. No need to count, just look at the stitches.

The other problem many people have with ribbing is not moving the yarn between the needles to go back and forth. Going over the needles makes YOs which are extra stitches.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
I never have this problem while knitting but when I cross-stitch, I'm ALWAYS one stitch off at just ONE point in the darn thing! So... I know how you feel... Yeah, of course, I don't notice until I've done a lot already, as well...
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #9
hw13
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Take a look at the link I put into post 3. That shows you how to identify knits and purls and for ribbing you will knit the sts that look like knits, and purl the ones that look like purls. No need to count, just look at the stitches.
I think my problem was in the first row. Then when I went to follow the sts, it kept ending up wrong. I finally got it right and now i'm making tons of progress
hw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I think it is crucial to recognize the knits and purls when you see them. Once you establish that, when you see that you are having the same problem over and over, make a practice of checking your work regularly...at least each row/round, if not more frequently.

I do this, especially if I'm watching tv or something while I'm knitting. If you look at your knitting every few stitches to make sure you're knitting where you're supposed to knit and purling where you're supposed to purl, you won't get too far along before finding the mistake.

Next, make sure you know how to unknit or "tink" (knit, spelled backwards. ). Then it's not a big deal at all to undo a row or half a row, and it keeps you from feeling like you have to start over all the time.

So...learn to read your knitting, and check often. That will keep your frustration levels lower and keep your mistakes to a minimum!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote