Old 01-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Constant Knitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Basketweave Topper confusion
Hi guys!

Has anyone made the Lion Brand Basketweave Topper? http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60727A.html?r=1

I followed the directions, but my 'creation' falls quite short of the picture. There just doesn't seem to be enough rows between the sleeves and the neck opening. My gauge of 16 stitches to 4 inches is exact, but it only takes me 24 rows instead of 32 to equal 4 inches. Could that be the problem?

I'm stumped. Since the pattern is knit in inches instead or row numbers, I figured I was safe. What am I missing?

One other thing: if you look at the picture and the required number of balls of yarn, would 5 balls actually be enough?

Thanks - as always - for the help.
Constant Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Even though many people can match the stitch gauge, the row gauge is often off. But it generally doesn't matter as most lengths are given in inches rather than rows. So go by the measurement rather than rows, or convert if it's given by rows, convert the pattern rows to inches then figure it that way. It's hard to say about the number of balls needed since everyone knits with a different tension. Since you have only 6 rows per inch and the gauge is for 8 rows per inch you'll probably have enough; you'll knit less rows to get the same measurement.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Constant Knitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the input.

I've frogged what I've done so far, and I'm going to try it again. I'll post a picture if I get it right this time.

Thanks again!
Constant Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,100 Posts
Actually since the pattern is worked in one piece, the measurement from the neck to the end of the sleeve on one side (before the ribbing is worked) is 11.5 inches for the first size. That's measuring across your work so it's only dependent on your stitch gauge and not your row gauge. If you have that measurement (or the equivalent for whatever size you're doing), then you're right on the patterns specs. The ribbing is going to add another ~1 1/4 inches so the sleeve will be a little longer.
Because the shaping is dependent on row gauge (that is it's given for so many rows not inches), your side shaping may be slightly different but I wouldn't think enough different to matter.
I really like things knit in basketweave. Good luck with the poncho!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote