Old 01-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
KnitNut32
Casting On

Hi Fellow Knit Nuts!
Hello darling, my name is Thelma and I'm 75 years old, and I'm a Knit Nut! I have been ever since I watched my mother do it as a child. But it's not until now that I have finally retired and have the time, that I want to learn how to knit. I need all the knit - know how and facts on knitting, and thought this would be the perfect place to learn how to knit. I hope to become good enough so that I can knit sweaters for my 11 grand children on birthdays and Christmas's. I would also love to hear your stories about knitting and the adventures that come from knitting. From one knit knut to another.

Peace, Thelma.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Hello Thelma,
First think you will need....patience patience and more patience.
This website has some great how to videos and so does youtube.com. I am a self taught and still learning and I'm closer to your age than I am most of the others on this site. When you need help, the ladies on here are wonderful about giving tips and being helpful. Get some yarn that you don't mind practicing on, but it should still be something smooth. Simply soft is a good yarn to start with.
Welcome to Knittinghelp.com.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Hi Thelma, nice to meet you! I'm 63, so not that far from your age.

Have you knit anything at all so far? Will you start with something easy, like a dishcloth or scarf?...some people like to start with challenges, but not me......I made only one sweater in my lifetime, for my husband (25 years ago), and since then only scarves, hats, slippers, socks.

Welcome to the forum! There are many accomplished knitters here and lots of help.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Hi Thelma! Welcome to Knitting help! We've got a wide variety of ages here and both male and female so you'll fit right in. BTW..I'm 58 and started knitting 5 yrs ago.

Check the videos and if you need any more help we'd be glad to help you!

Basics needed if you don't have them-
Knitting needles size US 8-10
A smooth, worsted weight yarn (no novelty or fuzzy)
Patience in massive amounts

Don't worry about making anything to start with. Just learn the stitches and and practice first.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
KnitNut32
Casting On

Thank you my darlings, I feel so welcomed here. I have not yet knitted anything, but will take your advice Woodi and start off simpler, maybe a dishcloth would be a good learning experience for me right now. I take everyone advice to heart and will deffiently get on those web pages, I have also thought about signing up for a knitting class today at the local War Vets home.

(As the young people say)
Peace it out, Thelma
RuthieinMaryland (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Welcome!
Hey, Thelma!

Wow, are YOU in for a treat!!! As addictions go, it could be worse. But make no mistake - it IS an addiction. And there are no half-way houses to help you get over it!

Soon the day will come when you won't want to leave the house without your knitting bag and a take-along project! Those needles just won't stop clicking and you'll find yourself knitting in your dreams.

Some mornings I wake up with knitting on my mind so I know that I must have been thinking about it in my sleep! Then there was the time I was knitting while waiting in line to vote......and it goes on from there!

I got back into knitting after many years just about 3 years ago and I've made many things for friends and family. Each close family member got an afghan (I did 9 of them) and lots of other items that are all treasured. This Christmas I did fingerless gloves and sets of mesh Market Bags and that created quite a sensation!

Just keep in mind that each step of the way has its own pleasure, all the way from learning to cast stitches on to your needle and knitting that first wondrous row right up to doing afghans and scarves and sweaters and...and....and...... the list goes on! And then there's learning to knit socks!!!!!! Please, don't get me started!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy that you've found your way to knitting and to this forum. This is probably the BEST place to be, everyone is so generous and so helpful! Please let us know how your adventures shape up and if we can help you with anything!

Happy knitting,

Ruthie
KnitNut32 (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,378 Times in 3,061 Posts
Thelma, You have found the right place! Welcome. You're in for a great, frustrating, and utterly enjoyable time. Thanks so much for your charming and enthusiastic post. What lucky grandchildren. Cheers!
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
KnitNut32 (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
KnitNut32
Casting On

Hello my darlings. Ruthie, that was very inspiring to me, I wish to one day be in your shoes as in my old age I don't have much to do anymore after retiring, but knitting I will know will bring me joy. I know it will be a challange, but it is a challange and adventure I am willing to take. Thank you salmonmac, but it is I who is the lucky one, being blessed with so many sweet and loving grandchildren. When I get the basics down, I will be travelling all over the country to visit all my wonderful children and grandchildren and it is my hope that by then I will have knitted them all something nice to wear and use. I am so glad I have a place like this to visit, full of so many wonderful, caring people.

Thank you, Thelma
Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
Hi Thelma!!! Welcome to Knittinghelp! I think you have come to the right place in your adventure to learn to knit. There's tons of great videos that will help you A LOT! Also, you can check out videos on youtube, for anything else that you need help with. Feel free to ask questions, or just chat in general on here. It's a really great site.
I'm 27 and started knitting about 9 years ago, and I wish that I had known that there was a site like this then. It would have been of great help. For my first 7 years or so of knitting, all I knew was the knit stitch. I knew that something called a purl stitch existed, but I had no idea how to do it. I learned so much from here.
While learning, I would suggest just start with learning to cast on. Once you have the hang of that, work on knit. Once you have the hang of knit, work on purl. And go from there. Other than that I would just suggest getting some knitting needles(us 8-10) and some yarn. For yarn I suggest something soft, like caron simply soft, or Hobby Lobby's I love this Yarn! Good luck in your knitting adventures! And don't be afraid to ask questions!!! There's no such thing as a stupid question here.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

Hi Thelma. My name is Thelma also. Haven't met many with our name. I am 69 and my mother taught me to knit when I was a child too. I thought I knew how to knit pretty well and then I found this site and have learned so much more. The videos are great and everyone here is very helpful. Knitting is a great adventure and making things for others is satisfying. Welcome.