Old 02-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Weaving your ends. Lesson Learned.
When I first started knitting I used to think. Why do I need to weave in the ends. Why can't I just knot the end and have that be good enough. I would like to present these two pictures as examples of why. I loved this hat, and I could probably repair it, but I think its just going to serve as a lesson learned.

It is necessary to weave the ends of your knitting so that this doens't happen. I knotted the end of this project because I didn't know any better and this is what happens when you do that.

Pic 1

Pic 2

The knot will eventually come loose. This hat is a couple years old, but it will eventually happen.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Oh no! That's too bad. Can you pick up the stitches and finish off again?

I don't knot because I think to finish a hand knit object properly you need to weave in ends. Apparently this is another reason.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Well, I always knot my joins, but I leave a bit of a tail on each end to weave into a couple sts on either side. I don't cut them off close so they don't come undone.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

I've also seen a join done with a temporary knot, which you remove when you're ready to weave. I like that because it keeps the stitch tight. I can't get the hang of that locking twist of the 2 yarns.

Last edited by KatzKnitter : 02-05-2011 at 03:47 AM.
KatzKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,118 Times in 2,831 Posts
It is too bad since it looks like a great hat. Like Suzeeq I weave in the ends and don't cut them too close to the knitting. I once heard someone say that the back of her knitting wouldn't win any prizes at the state fair, but she never had ends poking through either.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
I hate changing colors or having to change to a new ball/skein. I can't seem to work the new ball of yarn in without a hole. I must be doing something wrong, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I've done what suzeeq does - use a knot but leave a tail to weave in. I would love to sit down with someone who is more experienced and knowledgeable than me and *watch* how they do. Maybe then I'd know what I'm doing.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Well, I always knot my joins, but I leave a bit of a tail on each end to weave into a couple sts on either side. I don't cut them off close so they don't come undone.
I do the same thing that you do now that I've learned a bit more. At least thats what I do if its not a join that I can felt. I loves me a felted join.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,118 Times in 2,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronda View Post
I hate changing colors or having to change to a new ball/skein. I can't seem to work the new ball of yarn in without a hole. I must be doing something wrong, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I've done what suzeeq does - use a knot but leave a tail to weave in. I would love to sit down with someone who is more experienced and knowledgeable than me and *watch* how they do. Maybe then I'd know what I'm doing.
To add in a new ball of the same color, I just knit one or two sts with both the end of the old and the beginning of the new. It make's a double thickness of yarn but it doesn't show and leaves no hole. An alternative is to only add in a new ball at the end of a row.

When changing colors you can repair the hole when you're finished by just crossing or twisting the yarn ends (the way you would if you were doing two color fair isle knitting) before you weave them into the back of the work. Check on the front of the work to make sure that what you're doing is closing the hole before you weave in the ends.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Ronda (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
I can't seem to work the new ball of yarn in without a hole.
I make sure the knot is in the purl bump of a knit stitch on the WS. I tie it loosely first, then work a few more rows and go back to rearrange it and tighten it up. By having more rows above the knot, you can adjust the tension on it so it's not holey.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Ronda (02-05-2011), salmonmac (02-03-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
That's what I do. I also don't weave them in close because whenever I do they're sure to pop out the wrong side (the right side).

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote