Old 01-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Chris and Moku...The terms are used interchangeably regardless of what is "correct." It doesn't really matter.

Jump rings
Split rings

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
'Split rings' are jump rings with a split opening, as opposed to 'closed jumprings' which are soldered shut, no opening. I use sterling silver 'closed jumprings' to make my own stitch markers because they don't snag my yarn, ever.

I never use split (open) jumprings for stitch markers, but I will for this project. But I'll stick with sterling silver. I've had real good luck with SS. No tarnishing. Stays satiny smooth, shiny and bright.

I checked on Amazon. They sell sterling silver jump rings, open or closed style. They're not expensive. I didn't realizethat Amazon had jump rings of any kind! That's cool!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

How do you connect them if they aren't open, Dollyce?

Amazon has everything!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 01-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #14
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

For stitch markers they don't need to be open/split.

After you've loaded your beads, etc. onto the SS headpin, the naked end of the headpin goes through the closed jumpring, bent down like a u-turn, then it's coiled around itself, and excess snipped off.

Can you find that stitch marker photo tutorial I did here at KH a few years ago?

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #15
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post

Can you find that stitch marker photo tutorial I did here at KH a few years ago?
Found it!
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...stitch+markers

I tried this, but I couldn't get it twisted as tightly and neatly like this.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 01-22-2011, 01:58 AM   #16
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

You are a genius and your timing is impeccable! I'm trying a new pattern with a new technique both of which should be simple but for some reason I keep losing my place in a very, very simple cable pattern. This will help me keep track. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:33 AM   #17
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I tried this, but I couldn't get it twisted as tightly and neatly like this.
The key to good tight wraps is twofold: use 3" headpins only, and use SS only.

SS is softer and more malleable, and 3" headpins give you an extra inch to hold on to while working the wrap. These two tips make all the difference when you're not a pro jewelry maker, which I'm definitely not!

So, I'd say I work best with better materials, and in the end it saves money cuz I don't trash mis-wrapped stitch markers. I never blow a wrap when I use 3" (SS) headpins. I guess if I made stitch markers every day, or even once a week, I'd have better skills at using 2" headpins. But I'd always use SS! It's so bright and beautiful, and retains it's good looks, never discoloring my knitting or hands. It's worth the extra pennies. But I'm not making stitch markers for profit. Just for me, or as gifts for close friends who are knitters, avid knitters.

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (01-22-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I love this idea!!! Would've never thought of it on my own!! Thanks!

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
'Split rings' are jump rings with a split opening, as opposed to 'closed jumprings' which are soldered shut, no opening. I use sterling silver 'closed jumprings' to make my own stitch markers because they don't snag my yarn, ever.

I never use split (open) jumprings for stitch markers, but I will for this project. But I'll stick with sterling silver. I've had real good luck with SS. No tarnishing. Stays satiny smooth, shiny and bright.

I checked on Amazon. They sell sterling silver jump rings, open or closed style. They're not expensive. I didn't realizethat Amazon had jump rings of any kind! That's cool!
Get either half hard or whole hard sterling. It's nice and strong... doesn't bend as easily but still easily enough to open and close when you want to. If you're going to be opening/closing them a lot, I'd suggest half hard. Dead soft is just that... really soft and easy to bend.
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mokumegane For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-23-2011)
Old 01-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #20
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Chris and Moku...The terms are used interchangeably regardless of what is "correct." It doesn't really matter.

Jump rings
Split rings
I wasn't trying to flame or anything... was just really confused because of the training I received at an accredited art college... sorry... maybe I should just not post... :s
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote