Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Lace Knitting - I need a shawl pattern
Hi!
you remember? I do not knit lace shawls. Well that will be past tense soon.

I thought about starting lace soon, I mean real lace, with thin yarn and in shawl-shape. Then I stumbled across this yarn. And I was toast. I did order it and now I am happy owner of one hank of 100 g (600 m) of this beauty.

I am not yet decided on what pattern I will use and I thought I would ask you all for ideas.
The Torreyana shawl (the link at knitty.com is: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTtorreyana.php ...) has been tempting me. But is that too much for a relative lace beginner? What do you recommend?

Here is the yarn:

The yarn has a non-repeating color scheme, if that is of interest.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
That yarn would look lovely on that pattern but extraspicy is the absolute hardest rating a pattern can get on Knitty lol. If that isn't too much for you, you're either lucky or able to learn on the fly!

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring09/KSPATTaeolian.php is beautiful, as well, and a little easier. Piquant is just under the one you linked in difficulty.

Also, you could give the one you want to do a go but read it entirely through and make sure you know what it wants you to do. You may surprise yourself and have no problems making the shawl!
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Torreyana calls for a provisional cast on of 300 sts or so which is what makes it somewhat difficult. If you're up for that go for it, but you may want to find one a little more conventional to do first. By conventional, I mean one that starts with a few sts at the neck and increases down to the border edges. If you're used to working with charts you should be fine though.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
I haven't really knit lace or a shawl so I can't you give advice but I can say I LOVE that yarn. It's fantastic and looks soft. It is so wonderfully pretty purple.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Thanks girls.
I needed you to pull the reins on me
Well, I decided that the Torreyana is for another time in my life. It will not be my first.

I have now gotten a tendency to make the "Heartland Lace Shawl" Here is the link

It is one of the most grafic patterns I would find, I guess. And there fore I can practice knitting lace shawls, come out with a pretty result and get ready for a step up.

But the Aeolian looks awesome, too. That will have to get onto my needles one day, too.

I also have a crush on the Laminaria

See what happend to me? I am stuck, I am cought, I will have to do lace, lace, lace, now. That's what I get from looking at your projects here so much!

My husband already considers that lace knitting is in fact light weight and therefore alowed on backpacking trips... and that is my husband being totally cought up in lightweight backpacking!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The Heartland is a good first one, so is her Swallowtail on the same page. Welcome to the lace addiction!

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

I take that encouragement and decide on the Heartland, hereby.
I will keep you posted on the progress

One addiction after the other grabs hold of me, partially for a first time, partially as a revival of history. Making gloves, making socks, and so on... I have quite the history in knitting. But lace really as an entire piece of lace (not as a decorative border or such) is relatively new to me. Making the Haruha scarf for my brother's girlfriend was a good race right in. I knit the 2.2 m in about 4 nights after work. So I am confident, that my knitting speed will drag me right in. And with quick progress there is quick addiction. A given in any addiction.