Old 01-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
bdyanasak
Casting On

Pattern 911!
I started knitting a blanket, and thought I understood this line in the pattern, but ended up having to rip it out because the stitches didn't add up. I want to make sure I have it right BEFORE I start again, as it was very frustrating to have to start over.

Earlier in the book there occurs a "dagger" symbol *here represented as a (+), with the instructions: the dagger identifies a portion of instructions that will be repeated again later in the same row.
Another symbol that occurs is a star with the instruction: an asterisk is used to mark the beginning of a portion of instructions which will be worked morethan once; thus "repeat from *"

That being said, the line I messed up reads:
K1,P1, knit in front,in back, and in front of next st; P4; *+ K2 tog; YO, K1, P1, K1, SSK; P4, knit in front, in back, and in front on next st +; P4; rep from * 10 times more, then rep from + to + once; P1, K1.

I know how to YO, and SSK, and K2 tog, etc. I am having trouble with the part between the first * and the + mess. I ran from the first *, to the +, then back to the first * and continued to the to the second, and repeat like that 10 times. But the stitches didn't add up. What am doing wrong?

HELP PLEASE!
bdyanasak is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

You should be repeating all that is between the *s 10 times, then between the +s one more time after that. You shouldn't be stopping at the + when you're knitting between the *s.

*+ K2 tog; YO, K1, P1, K1, SSK; P4, knit in front, in back, and in front on next st +; P4; rep from * 10 times more

+ K2 tog; YO, K1, P1, K1, SSK; P4, knit in front, in back, and in front on next st + one more time

OTN - afghan for DH (undid it for the 3rd time and started another pattern), baby sweater, hooded sweater jacket for me!!
TrikkeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrikkeAddict For This Useful Post:
bdyanasak (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
bdyanasak
Casting On

okay, so the 2nd + is simple denoting the end of that + section and I should ignore it?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes, it just belongs to that one section which you will repeat once, after you do what is between the *s, and then P1, K1, at the end of the row.

OTN - afghan for DH (undid it for the 3rd time and started another pattern), baby sweater, hooded sweater jacket for me!!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
bdyanasak
Casting On

Thanks so very much!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

You're welcome!!! Let me know how it comes out!!