Have you read this
TKGA page? It's full of information.
I thought this (read below: information copy/pasted straight from the page) was interesting!
One of the things this program tests is the ability of the knitter to follow the instructions to the smallest detail. This is a required skill for knitters.
What’s in Level 1?
In this program you will research knitting techniques, knit swatches and write about knitting topics. Specifically, this level of the Master Hand Knitting Program tests your abilities to:
• Look critically at your own work
• Research different techniques
• Accurately follow directions and patterns
• Accurately measure gauge
• Understand the importance of gauge
• Knit garter, rib, stockinette, seed, and reverse stockinette stitch patterns with even tension
• Space increases evenly
• Mirror increases
• Mirror decreases
• Make yarnovers
• Knit simple cables
• Change colors
• Weave in yarn tails properly
• Write a simple pattern
• Knit a simple hat in the round
• Properly block swatches
• Discuss blocking techniques and care of knitted items