Old 01-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Knitting Skill Level
So, I've always wondered what the benchmark was for knitting. Does anyone know at what point, or what skills you need to learn in order to advance up these levels. I'd probably consider myself an intermediate knitter, but honestly, I have no clue what my skill level is. I see patterns all the time that will say, Advanced, and then they scare me a little, not that I wouldn't do them anyway because I like the challenge and I know when something is just too hard for me. But I just don't know what level I am.

So, is there a knitting skill level standard?

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It really doesn't matter what skill level patterns are designated, sometimes they're wrong anyway. Any time you run across something new whether it's a st or construction technique or st combination, you won't be familiar with it, but once you've done it then you are. Take a look at an 'advanced' pattern and see what it's got in it. If you can knit, purl, inc, dec, and follow a pattern, chances are you can do anything.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
dodgerfan
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to dodgerfan Send a message via Yahoo to dodgerfan
I'm with you i have no idea what my skill level is. I figure you will never know unless you try the advanced patterns. I feel that i am an intermediate knitter as well and am just working up the nerve to try an advanced pattern. But i guess you'll never know until you try.
dodgerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Lana
Turning the Heel

When I first started knitting, 40+ years ago, I had an awesome knitter tell me to learn a new technique with every project.

Knitting is my creative outlet and I still look for, or invent, new things. Always trying to stretch the knitting corner of my brain.

I strongly believe for the best looking knits, it's all in the finishing work. Blocking, seaming and the fine details.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Originally Posted by Lana View Post
When I first started knitting, 40+ years ago, I had an awesome knitter tell me to learn a new technique with every project.
I usually try to do this as well. I typically have 3 different things going at the same time. I usually have something mindless that I take to group knittings things so that I don't have to concentrate and screw up because I'm being too chatty. Then I usually have a more complicated pattern that I keep at home for when I have time to concentrate. Then I usually have 1 more that has something that I don't know how to do in it so that I can practice a new technique.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

I don't think there's a single standard. I've seen publications define their own, but as for there being some magic moment when you are Intermediate instead of Beginner, or Piquant instead of Tangy, or whatsumever, no. I had one student panic because the very plain sock pattern we were going to use said Intermediate. She did fine, but it was rough convincing her she would.

In general, if you can look at a pattern, understand it, and decide whether you'd like it, you can handle it. I had someone try to tell me I couldn't knit a certain shawl because I didn't have a Master Knitter certificate. Heh! the yarn doesn't know that.

Also, there will be times in your life when the easy/medium/hard labels may be handy. We're just coming off a mean viral bronchitis that has left us all feeling kinda stupid. I sat here one day with yarn and needles and a simple pattern (my own, at that!)...and I couldn't focus enough to do it. For some people, knitting lace is so absorbing that it distracts them from tension; for others, it adds more when they seriously don't need it. Some people can't knit in waiting rooms and some have to. If you know your own stress level and how knitting affects it, you can pick a project to suit.

Last edited by Becky Morgan : 01-28-2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added thoughts
Becky Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
bambi
Working the Gusset

Egads, man! I have seen your FOs and you are advanced!!!!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
I had someone try to tell me I couldn't knit a certain shawl because I didn't have a Master Knitter certificate.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Lana
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by trvvn5 View Post
I usually try to do this as well. I typically have 3 different things going at the same time. I usually have something mindless that I take to group knittings things so that I don't have to concentrate and screw up because I'm being too chatty. Then I usually have a more complicated pattern that I keep at home for when I have time to concentrate. Then I usually have 1 more that has something that I don't know how to do in it so that I can practice a new technique.
Your "3 different things going at the same time" is cleverly orchestrated. The different applications is the key.

I can't remember ever having more than one knitting project going at the same time. There were a couple 'not well thought out' projects that were put aside and saved for many years to be revisited at a later date. I'm actually currently working on the second one.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Have you read this TKGA page? It's full of information.

I thought this (read below: information copy/pasted straight from the page) was interesting!

Before Beginning
One of the things this program tests is the ability of the knitter to follow the instructions to the smallest detail. This is a required skill for knitters.

What’s in Level 1?
In this program you will research knitting techniques, knit swatches and write about knitting topics. Specifically, this level of the Master Hand Knitting Program tests your abilities to:
• Look critically at your own work
• Research different techniques
• Accurately follow directions and patterns
• Accurately measure gauge
• Understand the importance of gauge
• Knit garter, rib, stockinette, seed, and reverse stockinette stitch patterns with even tension
• Space increases evenly
• Mirror increases
• Mirror decreases
• Make yarnovers
• Knit simple cables
• Change colors
• Weave in yarn tails properly
• Write a simple pattern
• Knit a simple hat in the round
• Properly block swatches
• Discuss blocking techniques and care of knitted items

Artlady at Rav