Old 01-30-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

General Q's about knitting socks
I wear knee socks under my slacks or jeans all winter, and I'm thinking of knitting a pair, because the beefy cabled or ribbed cotton knee socks I prefer are getting harder to find.

But I've never done socks before. Does sock yarn have the same elastic thread as store-bought socks? What should I look for in a good pattern and reasonably priced yarn for a beginner?
KatzKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:54 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
I suggest before you make a pair of socks with sock yarn that you make a pair of house socks with worsted weight yarn. You can learn about sock construction and become comfortable with the technique before you start knitting with size 1 or 2 needles and thin yarn.

I learned on this pattern and it's great! It has instruction for different yarn weights. This one uses double pointed needles (DPN).
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

If you prefer to magic loop or use two circular needles I can find a pattern for those, too.

Beyond that..a good sock yarn should have nylon of some type in it for strength. Merino or wool is good for warmth. You can find a few sock yarn types in the craft type stores (Michaels, Joann, etc), but you can find more on in LYS (local yarn stores), but it will be more expensive. Start with the less expensive stuff then move on if you choose.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

I like their closeup photos. I've never used DPN's or circular needles. Which is easier? But I can't have wool in my socks or slacks. Is there a cotton-nylon worsted you recommend for starting? Will the house socks stay up by the ribs alone?

We have at least 5 or 6 LYS's here with varying prices, as it's a large metro area. But I've also found some nice yarns at Michael's with discount coupons.

And yes, I did knit the aqua hat. Do you think it's too small? :D
Old 01-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
IMHO two circular or magic look are easier than DPs. I found that there were just too many needles to worry with with DPs. Now I have learned to use DPs and some find that they like DPS better than circulars. It is more a matter of taste.

There are sock yarns with elastic in them. however, since the socks are made to measure elastic is not needed as much to get a good fit.

There are some nice cotton yarns on the market, I like Hobby Lobby's "I like this yarn." I don't think I have seen a cotton with elastic or nylon. However, you can add either or both as you knit.

Last edited by cacunn : 02-14-2011 at 10:36 AM.
cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

This is where you'll have a harder time finding what you want in a store like Michaels, but you can look. I'm looking on Ravelry with filters and there are pages of cotton/nylon worsted yarns and quite a few fingering weight as well. I have this page bookmarked that lists non-wool sock yarns. These are sock weight I think, but it gives you something to start with.
http://veganknitting.typepad.com/veg...ock-yarns.html

I learned on DPNs, but now I usually use either two circs or magic loop. I don't know that one is easier than the others..they all take practice. Have you knit in the round at all?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 01-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
This is where you'll have a harder time finding what you want in a store like Michaels, .... Have you knit in the round at all?
thanks for the search. We have enough yarn stores here or I can order online. I've never knitted in the round, but I've been looking at videos.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
If you haven't knit in the round before, I would say that you might want to try something like a hat first. It'll give you a better feel for knitting in the round. It can be kinda intimidating at first. But this is just my opinion. Either way it goes, good luck.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Many thanks to you both. I do have a simple hat in the round picked out already.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
Ok sounds awesome! Good luck with your hat and be sure to post pick when you're done!!! And of course, feel free to ask questions if you need any help!!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Yes, I agree. Learn to knit something simpler in the round first. A hat is an excellent idea.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
crazykntter83 (01-30-2011)