Old 02-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
knittyhaha
Casting On

Soooo, you are about to join the wonderful world of sock knitting. You will love it, and knitters seem to be caring and sharing.
The best pattern I have found for learning is the freebie from Lion Brand. It explains things very clearly and is an excellent basic sock pattern. You can find it online, if not on the label of some of their sock yarn.
If you cannot have wool on your feet, not even 50 percent wool, then I suggest you start with a baby acrylic, or a good nylon if you can find it. I have made at least 2 pair of acrylic socks and they are great. I throw them in the washer and dryer and nothing phases them. However, I realize I will be adding to the earth's landfill for eons when they are trashed.

One caution, I would not use acrylic socks as house socks if you have wood or tile floors as they get very slippery if the least bit damp. I almost fell stepping out of my back door because my socks were damp and slipped on the wooden floor.

100 percent cotton yarn is really hard to use for socks as they stretch out and don't hold their shape. I know from experience. I have given up on cotton unless it is in a blend with other fiber.

Check out Knit Picks for a good online store with lots of variety. You local MIchaels or A.C. Moore will also have some good selections. Some of the variegated acrylic sock yarn looks lovely.

As for dpns versus circular needles, take your pick. I learned on dpns as a very young teenager -- eons ago -- and generally have loved them and have had no problems with ladders where the 2 needles meet. However, I am an American style knitter, and by pulling backwards at the junctures to tighten the stitches I can easily control the tension. I also can knit Continental style, but find I can't control tension well when working in the round.
However, now that so many great circular needles are available, I have a great collection of those too. Just make sure that the cords are really flexible, otherwise you can have a problem when working in the round.
I am new to this site, so I think I have rambled on enough for the first time.
Enjoy your knitting, it is a lifelong sport!!!!
knittyhaha is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #12
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Haven't started yet, learning to use a circ needle with a hat. Acrylic makes me perspire, it has to be mostly cotton, so it might not be practical for me to knit socks. I wear cotton knee socks under my slacks in the winter, crew socks when it's warmer, cotton Peds in the summer. My apt. is warm enough to go barefoot indoors.

What do you think of the cotton-nylon combos Jan pointed out? michael's has very little, and the LYS's near here are mostly upscale.
KatzKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
The yarn that I'm working with for my socks are 41% cotton 39% wool 13% nylon and 7% elastic. They're actually fairly light, and don't over heat your foot. And this is coming from a person who is always hot. Maybe you could try it out? And I know you don't like the funky colors. They actually have some more modest choices too.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #14
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Brand name?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #15
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Oh wow I totally forgot to include that. Sorry!!! It's Paton's Stretch Socks.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #16
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Took your earlier advice, Crazy, making a hat in the round now, and I it's not problem, in fact I don't drop as many stitches as I did with the straights, and it's easier on my bad finger.

Roughly how much Paton sock yarn do you think I would need for knee socks for small feet (6 1/2)? The Spearmint looks good, because most of my clothing is green or blue. I'll be following Silver's Sock tutorial.

But I'm also going to take Jan's advice and start with a worsted. What very soft yarn would anyone recommend?

I can now get 1-to-1 instruction because I joined a small local group tonight, and we meet weekly.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #17
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

I would say you might need about 3 skeins of yarn if you're wanting to make them into knee socks. I say that, because I know that socks without as high of cuff takes two, from what I understand.
For soft worsted yarn, I would recommend Caron Simply Soft or Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn! I crocheted some socks for my gf in Carom Simply Soft, and she seems to like them.
The Following User Says Thank You to crazykntter83 For This Useful Post:
KatzKnitter (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #18
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
IMHO two circular or magic look are easier than DPs. I found that there were just to many needles to worry with with DPs. Now I have learned to use DPs and some find that they like DPS better than circulars. It is more a matter of taste.

There are sock yarns with elastic in them. however, since the socks are made to measure elastic is not needed as much to get a good fit.

There are some nice cotton yarns on the market, I like Hobby Lobby's "I like this yarn." I don't think I have seen a cotton with elastic or nylon. However, you can add either or both as you knit.
Lol, I'm the opposite of you... unless the circs fit the project fairly well, I'm screwed and just naturally switch to dpn's. I'm good with four or five needles! I'm sure it's because my brain is warped or something...
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #19
dddebbb3
Ribbing the Cuff

[quote=KatzKnitter;1315223]Roughly how much Paton sock yarn do you think I would need for knee socks for small feet (6 1/2)? The Spearmint looks good, because most of my clothing is green or blue. I'll be following Silver's Sock tutorial.

I wouldn't start with knee socks. I've made several pair from handspun wool, and gave up because I just couldn't get them to stay up very well. I haven't tried the Paton yarn.
I tried this pattern with a cuff from knitty.com http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTtoirneach.html (kilt hose) and made elastic garters that the cuff hid, which worked OK. Another suggestion I haven't tried yet is to make regular height socks and then make coordinating ribbed tubes that will overlap the sock tops and reach as high up as you want. This would have the advantage of using good sock yarn for the foot and cheaper stuff for the legging.
I, too, used to wear commercial knee socks all the time, but gave up trying to find them in anything other than little girl sizes. It was easier to buy longer skirts to cover the tops of my shorter hand-knit socks! I hope you have fun experimenting; I've found socks to be addictive.
dddebbb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #20
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for the tips.

You'll find both cotton and wool knee socks at www.vermontCountryStore.com. I've been getting their mail order catalog and my socks there for 30 years. The ones at department store are mostly acrylic these days. But the socks are all in solid colors, so I thought I might knit my own.

Paton's Stretch Socks has elastic in the yarn. It was recommended by someone earlier in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to KatzKnitter For This Useful Post:
dddebbb3 (02-12-2011)