Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Susan MF
Casting On

Pattern calls for using two strands, want to use one
I am a fairly new knitter. I have been knitting for about three years, but tend to needlepoint during the summer months. I have a bunch of quick afghan knitting patterns. I have several questions about the patterns and am hoping that someone can help me figure out what to do.

First, I have a pattern that calls for 44 ounces, (1,250 grams, 3015 yards). You are supposed to use worsted weight yarn and use 2 strands held together to knit. The afghan measures 46" X 60" when finished. The gauge in stockinette stitch is 9 sts and 12 rows = 4".
I do not like to use two strands when knitting. So, what I would like to know is do I use the same amount of yarn or is there a formula to figure this out. The book has lots of patterns so I would like to be able to convert the two strands to just one whenever possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Second, I have one afghan pattern that calls for Make One--can anyone explain this in layman's terms?
I also have a pattern that calls for right and left twists. Does anyone have an easy way to explain this? Thanks so much for all your help. Susan
Susan MF is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you use a bulky or super bulky you would likely use about half the yardage or 1500 yards.

Pattern writers have their own ideas what a 'make 1' increase is. For some it's a M1 where you lift the yarn between sts and knit it through the back loop; for others it may be a backward loop and others might use knit front and back. So there should be a definition for it in your pattern, somewhere between the gauge info and cast on instructions. Same thing with the right and left twist, they're like mini cables where you work the 2nd st on the L needle first, leave it on the needle then work the first st.

There's videos on the Increases page which show various ones, take a look at them.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
Susan MF
Casting On

two strands
Thanks for your help. I will check out the video.
Susan MF is offline   Reply With Quote