Old 01-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Snow or sleet?
How many are getting snow? I'm in Texas right now and we should have 4" of snow on the ground in the morning. Maybe I won't have to go to work. If I don't, I suppose I'll just have to stay home and knit...oh darn.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

We're right in the middle of it...again. We had icy drizzle today and now we're in for 8 - 12 (or more) inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. They're calling it a blizzard. Oh joy! As long as the heat and electricity stay on, I'm good. More knitting time.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by yarnrainbow View Post
We're right in the middle of it...again. We had icy drizzle today and now we're in for 8 - 12 (or more) inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. They're calling it a blizzard. Oh joy! As long as the heat and electricity stay on, I'm good. More knitting time.
Right! More knitting time. I'm hoping to wake up to the white stuff but it won't be anything like a blizzard.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
kittykins
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi Jackie!
I'm in Rockwall just NE of you. I woke to rain that quickly turned to sleet and now it's snowing. Of course there's also the wind chill factor. Yikes, I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere! I see on TV that it's down to 1 or 2 degrees with the wind chill in some areas. And to think that just a few days ago it was in the mid 70's here! Some people have come in early this week for the Super Bowl. Wonder what they're thinking right about now ....Well I've got my yarn and knitting needles, comfy chair and my cozy blanket. Stocked up on groceries yesterday. I'm all set! Hope you were able to stay home from work. I'll be thinking about you getting some knitting done too while I work on my last project. Stay warm! Jeanie
kittykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Hope all of you in the mid-west made out all right today .... I'm a bit farther north east and will be (supposedly) getting hit by this storm later tonight.

They're calling for roughly 38cm here in Toronto (I could be mistaken, but I think that's close to 16 inches!), so I'm kinda hoping to be snowed in tomorrow as well ... a day off to relax and knit would be awesome!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Abbers1026
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm near chicago and last night we got about 2 inches and the real heavy stuff is supposed to start this afternoon with anywhere between 18-26inches coming...they're saying this will be the worst storm since 1967 if not worse than that one

http://www.ravelry.com/people/abbers1026

OTN: cousin's afgan, baby blanket for co-worker
Abbers1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Abbers1026 View Post
they're saying this will be the worst storm since 1967 if not worse than that one

Yikes!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
Lana
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Abbers1026 View Post
I'm near chicago and last night we got about 2 inches and the real heavy stuff is supposed to start this afternoon with anywhere between 18-26inches coming...they're saying this will be the worst storm since 1967 if not worse than that one
Let's not forget the Blizzard of '79. The school system where my husband taught in Mt Prospect was close for a week.

We're out closer to NIU and probably won't get the lake effect snow, but they say anywhere from 10-18" in the Rockford area.

SNOW DAY!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by kittykins View Post
Hi Jackie!
I'm in Rockwall just NE of you. Stay warm! Jeanie
Jeanie, that wind is a killer! Our ground is covered with snow but I think it's only about 2". Hard to tell with the wind blowing little snow tornadoes everywhere. You're right, staying warm, snuggling in a blankie and knitting is the way to go today!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

I'm about 50 miles N.W. of Chicago and survived both the '67 and '79 blizzards. They were doozies!! I remember trying to shovel the drive and having to give up because I couldn't throw the snow any higher on either side. I think in '79 my kids and I put up a lovely piece of artwork offering snowmen for sale - unassembled.

The weather guys indicated we would get only 15-16" of snow up north here close to Wi. However, it snowed a couple inches last night and it's been snowing all morning. I saw that our streets and main roads were in pretty bad shape this A.M. when I went to the store for a few things. Shopped 2 days ago for basics and lots of veggies for a big pot of soup which takes a couple of days to build. It's done now so I'm set for several days. That's all I'd add to your blankies and snuggling and knitting . . . a nice big bowl of homemade soup.

Winds of 55 mph or more are going to diminish visibility down to nothing and move that snow around into huge drifts. I pity any truckers, delivery or emergency drivers who have to be on the road tonight. That includes all the roads from Oklahoma & Texas right across to the East coast.

Everybody in this storm belt, take it easy, and hunker down for a day or two at home. We'll all get through this.
Jean
wellslipmystitches is offline   Reply With Quote