Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
JudyD
Turning the Heel

More photos...the sun was so bright I could not see the viewer to have an idea of what I was photographing.

First one is a different view of the pile at the end of our driveway.

Second one is looking up the street toward the main road.

Third one is looking down to the end of our street. Foreground is the end of our driveway.

Judy in Maine
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0720.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	55207  Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0723.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	55208  Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0724.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	55209  
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Wowzers, Judy! You always get a lot in Maine though right? That's what I picture.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #13
JudyD
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Wowzers, Judy! You always get a lot in Maine though right? That's what I picture.
We've actually had several mild winters in past years, but this year is on its way to being one of the worst ever with the combination of lots of snow and the extremely cold temperatures. Had to call OnStar twice in 8 days because my car wouldn't start even though it was in the garage. First time with wind chill temp was -28. Second time car had not been started for 24 hrs. This car is not yet 3 years old! After the 2nd jump start I drove to the dealer for a new battery. Battery supposedly tested okay (big joke!) so the new battery wasn't covered by warranty.

Early morning report this morning indicates snow for Saturday, next Tuesday, and next Thursday ! The good news is the temperature is only -8 this morning...

Judy
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
I know camera batteries don't like being cold..maybe car batteries, too? What about a heating blanket on the engine area..I've heard of stuff like this.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #15
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

Abbers, What fun! When I had Corgis, a med. sized dog but only 12" high, I'd let them out in the snow. They were well trained to their boundaries so I let them run free, with supervision.

If the snow was a foot or so deep they could handle it. They'd tear around and put their noses down and plow their own way all over the yard. Hysterical to watch. Corgis have a face like a fox and a butt like a bunny and they can tunnel in snow until their feet get cold.

Then, as you've probably seen, they stop and start picking each foot up high as possible, communicating, 'Oh boy, this hurts!!' Easy to know it's time to go in.
Great times.

Here in McHenry County it was pretty bad. The wind was the main culprit just as it was for you. The weather guys don't measure drifts (except for excitement)! I think they melt snow in their measuring devices and calculate amounts from that.

Who cares?!? They're not 'on' anything. Again, who cares? They're not going to shovel our drives. Oh! The new couple of inches of snow was so pretty this a.m.? NOT!
Jean
wellslipmystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #16
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

Judy, Nice pics! From the shadow lengths, you must have taken them in the afternoon. The color of your sky is almost a cobalt blue in one frame. Did you use a filter or is that computer magic?

Your car trouble obviously isn't the battery. Did the mechanics use a computer to check the code problems? All they have to do is plug it in You didn't indicate the brand of car.

Used to have a Nissan - 4 on the floor - that I loved to drive, however, some kind of coil would always freeze in winter.

Be careful about warming the engine in the garage. Some people have used an electric light bulb hanging under the hood - till their garage and car burned up. Additionally, the car blankets that plug into the cigarette lighter or ??? work off your battery.

Here in ILL the school buses, parked outside, have a gizmo that plugs into a regular outlet and in zero and below temps keeps them ready to go in the morning.

My Chrysler van sits in the drive and I've never had a starting problem no matter the weather. Your vehicle should not do what it's doing. Wonder how low a temp it takes to bollix it up? Maybe you should find out if it's a widespread problem like Toyota had the last few years. Their logo should be 'We're Unstoppable'!
Jean
wellslipmystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Feb 4....in my backyard near Ft.Worth Texas
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	snowday1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	55223  
Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jackie M. View Post
Feb 4....in my backyard near Ft.Worth Texas
HI..I know "I" started this post and "failed" to give you some pics..well I got a terrible flu and the last thing I wanted to do was be outdoors... They are all awesome...thanks

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #19
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Alright, my daughter had almost an entire week off from school and will probably have another almost entire week off again. Last week, we created Pompeii and Vesuvius and an attacking army's fighting wall (didn't get a picture of the wall but it's like three times the height of Pompeii... just one wall, though). I have pre-eruption and post-eruption pictures... come look!! lol...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	PompeiiVesuviusDay1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	55229  Click image for larger version

Name:	PompeiiVesuviusDay2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	55230  
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #20
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Alright, now that I have the correct thread... let's try this again!

Vesuvius has erupted again only this time, it's way more detrimental...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	Photo0336.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	55241  
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote