Old 02-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
That's great, Moku!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #22
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Lol, Vesuvius buried itself, Pompeii and the surrounding countryside ^.^ We have at least 22" of snow here and the weather people said we were only going to get 6"... it's still snowing...
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #23
JudyD
Turning the Heel

Jean:

The pictures were taken just after 12 noon. No magic, no enhancement...that was the color of the sky. Pictures were taken with my trusty little Kodak Easy Share C330.

Car battery was bad and had to go. Even letting the car run for an hour didn't give the battery enough charge to last. I had no desire to get on personal terms with the OnStar receptionist or the tow truck driver who came to give me a jump start. Twice in one week was enough. Will see how the new battery does.

My car is a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, not yet 3 years old. Keeping all the gadgets going probably drains the battery a bit...at any time, 24/7, OnStar knows my mileage, how many miles I've driven on the present gas tank, how many mph I go on average, how many miles left on the present gas tank, % of life left in the oil, pressure in all four tires, etc. This took some getting used to.

Never had to use electric blankets on any of our cars and don't plan to start now...(visions of burning down the garage and house with it!) Also never had a car that failed to start no matter how cold it was in the winter...first time for everything.

Judy

Originally Posted by wellslipmystitches View Post
Judy, Nice pics! From the shadow lengths, you must have taken them in the afternoon. The color of your sky is almost a cobalt blue in one frame. Did you use a filter or is that computer magic?

Your car trouble obviously isn't the battery. Did the mechanics use a computer to check the code problems? All they have to do is plug it in You didn't indicate the brand of car.

Used to have a Nissan - 4 on the floor - that I loved to drive, however, some kind of coil would always freeze in winter.

Be careful about warming the engine in the garage. Some people have used an electric light bulb hanging under the hood - till their garage and car burned up. Additionally, the car blankets that plug into the cigarette lighter or ??? work off your battery.

Here in ILL the school buses, parked outside, have a gizmo that plugs into a regular outlet and in zero and below temps keeps them ready to go in the morning.

My Chrysler van sits in the drive and I've never had a starting problem no matter the weather. Your vehicle should not do what it's doing. Wonder how low a temp it takes to bollix it up? Maybe you should find out if it's a widespread problem like Toyota had the last few years. Their logo should be 'We're Unstoppable'!
Jean
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #24
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
I figure I should add more to this. Lol, the city, county, whoever is supposed to take care of the roads... they're so fail here. Their main strategy is to wait for the snow to clean the roads for them. This last snow, we got about 24" in about ten hours time. Yeah, there's still lots of snow on the roads. People went out there, driving... and like idiots... they didn't think about the consequences of stopping. Yeah... well, any car that went out there was not JUST driving... they were also plowing the road. So... there's lots of cars out there, abandoned, because they stopped at a red light and they couldn't get going again, with the big wall of snow in front of them they've been pushing all this time... The rednecks are really getting rich this year! Tow trucks, personal plows (they get money for plowing parking lots but it's illegal for them to plow the roads... they get fined for that lol).
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #25
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

For all: You've sent many terrific pics of your snowed-in properties. I've griped a bit about mine.

Today, I received some pics that show some astonishing shots of snowfall purported to be in Lead, S.D. If you'd like to check 'em out— http://off-gridliving.blogspot.com/2...an-5-2011.html

However, there is, apparently, some discussion about the veracity of the pics. Some say that some are from Quebec and Ontario Canada and not even from 2011.

Who cares?!! They're still mind boggling sights of some real effects of mother nature somewhere! I wonder how long it took to cut those paths through such a snow? I wouldn't want to be there when it melts.

We're going to get a thaw in the next few days. Hope it doesn't flood too much. My backstroke is pretty rusty this time of year.
Jean

Last edited by Jan in CA : 02-11-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Fixed link
wellslipmystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #26
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Wow, that's something no matter where it is!

I fixed your link. HTML doesn't work in here so just click the icon that looks like this - - and then paste or type your link.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
wellslipmystitches (02-12-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #27
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

P.S. Looking at my post, I see that my links are not going thru correctly. I send many links and have no problem. What's wrong?

One thing - when I hit the 'insert link' the box comes up in front of what I want to copy. I tried copying in another area from a link that was already sent. That didn't work either. Something's wrong and I don't know what.
Jean
wellslipmystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wellslipmystitches For This Useful Post:
cheley (02-11-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #28
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

If you look at my post I fixed the link. If you just copy the link only and put that in the insert link box it should be fine. If you want the link attached to some text you highlight the text then click the insert link and paste.

I suspect maybe you didn't have a close bracket somewhere..?

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
wellslipmystitches (02-12-2011)
Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #29
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Jan: to answer your question of "are those little deer houses...?"

No. One is a bench, facing the pond, one is an arbor. Here are pics in summertime, so you can see what they look like when not snow-covered.

Bench from the front. I bought it from a neighbour who makes all things outdoorsy and rustic. I eventually removed the little bird house cuz of the cats.

the arbor in summer, which DH made from ice-storm damaged cedar branches. I grow sweet peas alongside it.

The deer hang out near these because that's where I put food for them.

As you can see, we live in a pretty rustic setting (for 15 years now - DH's choice of a retirement heaven/haven. I like cities, but have gotten used to it here now.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote