Old 02-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey

Knitting and fibromalgia
I think I recall that some of you knitters also have fibromyalgia. I need suggestions on how to survive. The fibro and knitting peacefully coexist most of the time. It is just that this winter has been a bummer in the south and cold, rainy weather seems to get the best of me. Anyone out there have suggestions about how to tame the fibro beast?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Jannette
1st Leg of the Journey

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep going. I find that's all I can do. I've tried all the meds with no results and I refuse to take pain meds. I do find that the more I force myself to do the more I feel like doing.
Jannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jannette View Post
Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep going. I find that's all I can do. I've tried all the meds with no results and I refuse to take pain meds. I do find that the more I force myself to do the more I feel like doing.
Thanks for the encouragement. I am basically at the same point you are. Kinda miserable.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
I'm miserable, as well... I have RA. What's great about knitting is that I can do it in bed and I have a tv in my room... and I can have warm blankets on top of me!!! I've basically been pampering myself lol... making hot chocolate, etc. It's easier to go on with chocolate in front of you!!!
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Microwench
Casting On

Holy Cow, has this been a horrible winter for pain or what?!!

I have my daily meds pretty well adjusted, so my pain levels (normally) are at a nice tolerable, low level. I rarely take my as needed pain Rx. This winter however, whew! There were days when I had to reach for that Rx bottle just to keep from crying!

Have only been knitting for a month, had Fibro for at least 10 years, so not sure how the two will get along. So far if I can stay warm I am ok to knit. If I can't get warm enough in the living room, I turn on my electric mattress pad and curl up under my down comforter to knit.

The repetition of the knitting is soothing on owie days. I have to be just focused enough on the needles that I can't focus too much on the pain, yet not so focused that I can't knot through a bit of Fibro fog.

Stay warm, my Fibro-Friends! Spring will be here soon!!
Microwench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Staying warm is the key for me. Fibro, rheumatoid arthritis, and about 12 oz. of surgical steel in my left leg. Oh yeah, spinal stenosis also.

Have a super warm 'little' blanket on the sofa. Little is relative, as I'm tall. Finally got smart enough to wear leg warmers, that helps the dumb leg out tremendously.

It 29* here, not as cold as some have it, but way too cold for me.

Stay warm!

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
KnittingFool53
Casting On

Much better six years later....
Six years ago I was diagnosed with Fibro and I thought my life was over. The slightest move was excrutiating and took 10 minutes and crying all the way to the bathroom in the morning. Whew! Now after several years of trying different meds I'm on the newest med called "Savella" and I take Tylenol twice a day. Now I'm soooo much better it is tolerable!! Thank God! It's funny I don't notice the cold because I'm always hot!. So the cool feels really good to me.
Happy Knitting!!
KnittingFool53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
BlackRaven
Casting On

Fibro and Chronic Pain
I have both so I understand just recently I had a very painful flare had to upgrade my pain meds for a few weeks have you noticed that they say excercise is good for fibro? but yet my experience the more active I am I get a flare up. I also take amitriptaline for mine it helps a lot. I wish ya'll some pain free days
Katy
BlackRaven is offline   Reply With Quote