Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Cardinal Raglan Sweater using EZ's pattern
More pictures can be seen on Ravelry.com

From start to finish this sweater has had it problems. All in all though, I will make more sweaters using Elizabeth Zimmermann’s books. Her instructions for the percentage system is invaluable.

It took me about a month to make this sweater working on it in my free time. Three sets of shortrows were placed between mid back and bottom. One set was placed between the back raglan deceases just after starting them and the last set was placed just before finishing the raglan deceases. That is how I ended with the one stitch between the row of deceases at the shoulder as seen in the picture.

The sleeves and the sweater length both grew about one inch during the wash. I soaked the sweater in the washing machine, spun out, then socked it in rince water with a small amount of fabric softener and spun it out. The wash gave the fabric a softer feel and helped to even out the stitches.

I like the look of a knit 2, purl 1 ribbing so I used them on the bottom and cuffs. When working on the neck though I had to reverse the order just under half way so I would still have a k2, p1 appearance after turning the neck down and not a purl 2, knit 1. This type of ribbing though does not have the elasticity that a 2x2 would have. I did not think of that when planning the sweater. Future sweaters that might have a turtle or crew neck will not be done in 2x1 ribbing.

This being my first adult sweater for me made from EZ’s patterns was a great learning experience. There will be more.
I purchased the yarn on ebay about two years ago. There was a total of five skeins at 100 grams each. I used about 4 1/2 of skeins.

Instead of working EZ’s phoney seam, I purled the center stitches on both body sides and the center sleeve stitches. It did a great job at giving the illusion of a worked seam and helped when laying out the sweater to dry.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Ligh...weater---adult

I apologize for the poor picture of the sweater. I really need a better camera that doesn't take a college course to figure out.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Wool TNeck8.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	55252  

Last edited by Lighting57 : 02-13-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

I have never used (nor seen) an EZ pattern - although I am certain I would like them. From what little I do know, she had a grasp of geometry that baffles the mind!

Was it the basic three tubes (one for each arm and one for the body) and then joined at the underarm? I do like your idea of a purled stitch as a "phony seam". I can imagine how that would help with blocking a tube.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoniDew For This Useful Post:
Lighting57 (02-11-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MoniDew View Post
I have never used (nor seen) an EZ pattern - although I am certain I would like them. From what little I do know, she had a grasp of geometry that baffles the mind!

Was it the basic three tubes (one for each arm and one for the body) and then joined at the underarm? I do like your idea of a purled stitch as a "phony seam". I can imagine how that would help with blocking a tube.
Yes! When you get the time, go to ravelry click on designers add Elizabeth Zimmermann to the search. It should list her books. Click on any of the books and it will show her patterns plus any that others have made and posted on the website.

Lighting is terrible in my house but there are five other pictures if you go to the link above. They show the sweater better.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
That's beautiful! And only a month?! It takes me forever...

I'm working on a percentage system steeked cardigan, but the steek is tripping me up due to my sewing machine breaking and just figuring it out. Also got tied up with some other projects that had to be done. One of these days...

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Lighting57 (02-11-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Very nice! I have created my own patterns for a few smaller items, but I haven't attempted a sweater yet! The color is beautiful!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
Lighting57 (02-11-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Thanks. In the sun it looks almost blood red.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
JudyD
Turning the Heel

Nice work...that's a beautiful sweater! Love the color!

Judy
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JudyD For This Useful Post:
Lighting57 (02-12-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Wow! I think it looks awesome!!

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WandaT For This Useful Post:
Lighting57 (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Very good job. I've done exactly 1 of EZ's sweaters using the percentage system. I love her books but they are not for the faint hearted. I know what they are like and therefore appreciate what it took to make this. This turned out sooo well.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

I started this sweater with the intentions of making it into a cardigan. I am not totally satisfied with the way the neck lays in place. Therefore, I will probably ravel it back to the raglan top and work EZ's garter stitch buttonbands. That means I will have to cut a steek which I have never done other than on a test swatch. However, it did not take me days to make that swatch. I know that once I cut that steek there is no turning back, no changing my mind. I'll be committed to the task.

Wish me the best. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?