Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
another jogless join problem
Hi there!

I know we discussed this not long ago, but it was about a hat with jogless stripes. Now I'm working on Cobblestone Pullover. It's worked in the round. I am making it in Malabrigo Worsted, and so I am working with 2 separate hanks, switching every 2 rounds to try to eliminate some of the pooling effect, so when I am getting to that change, I have been doing the jogless join method, but it's making sort of a seam-looking thing. Horrid picture, I know, but here's what I mean:

as opposed to the opposite side:

Now, when I sort of stretch that "seam" it does seem more invisible, so I half wonder if it will come out with washing and blocking, but I don't want to continue with it if not. Are there are any easier and less noticeable ways to do the twisting of the yarns in the round?

Thanks!

ETA: I was thinking of moving the yarn change away from the beginning of round a few stitches into the stockinette section instead of the garter section... would that maybe help?

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
Are you doing the slip stitch one? I think what happens is that you get a "seam effect" or a pulled area because by slipping a stitch you have one less worked stitch and they pile on top of each other. Maybe that only makes sense in my head...

I think you'd be better off just changing skeins rather than a jogless join.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
When I do garter in the round I slip the first st, switch the st and work the slip st at the end of the round. Then slip the next stitch and repeat. This moves the 'beg' of round over a few sts but when you go back to stockinette st, it's not very noticeable. If you switch the skeins after slipping the first st it may work better.

But I think what would work even better is to make your beg of round in the middle of the garter st section that continues up the side. It's the transition from stockinette to garter that makes it more obvious.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
I was doing the method where when you just change skeins without doing anything, then when you reach that stitch on the next round, you lift the right bar of that stitch up onto the needle and knit it together with the stitch in the "new" color.

I ripped it out, it was bothering me enough LOL If it wasnt' a sweater, maybe I wouldn't have. I will try the slipping method instead or maybe just try the twisting at each change, but either way, I am definitely going to move it out of that section like you said.

Thank you!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Unless there is a different color change I'm not sure why you are doing it at all. If it's like the Malabrigo I'm thinking it is then it should look fine w/o any 'fixing'. Here's some help with the jog if you really think you need to do it.
http://techknitting.blogspot.com/200...s-stripes.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

I was going to mention that too, doesn't look like you really need to alternate skeins unless the colors are really off.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #7
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

It's recommended to alternate skeins when making large pieces with Malabrigo because the color will pool, and badly, same as with other hand-painted yarns.

Could I just carry it up without doing a "fix" though in the round? I'm wondering if I did this "fix" just because I started it the same time I was working on the hat with the jogless stripes. :P

Old 02-13-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

That's probably why you did it, but you don't need to do the jogless join. Can you do a felted join? If not then carry it loosely up the side. By loosely I mean I don't pull it tight or it will be obvious.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

It may be recommended, but why do it unless you really really think it makes a difference. Pooling isn't as bad a thing as some people think. And by looking at the color you have, I don't think that one would pool.