Old 02-13-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
CoolWool
1st Leg of the Journey

Ugh. Losing steam.
I can't seem to make myself finish the last 12 rows of the sweater I'm working on. I was really excited about it and it's a quick knit and something that I could try on as I went. I had the neck, sleeves and bodice almost completely finished when I tried it on the first time and I was surprised at how well it fit me. So I kept going, but made a few adjustments like lengthened the bodice a few rows and then knitted like crazy and tried it on again - - only to find that now, it's ill-fitting. The bodice/bust is way too big, and the tummy part is borderline tight.

So now ever since I found out that it doesn't fit well, I haven't picked it up and finished it. It's wearable - - but it just doesn't look too good. I'm considering unraveling it all the way up to where I added those four rows (way up in the bodice) and then "starting all over again" with the tummy (maybe not doing the decreases - so it's not so "form fitting" aka TIGHT).

It's such a pretty sweater and I spent so much money on materials... I'm thinking that I should unravel. But I'm not sure if I know how to STOP the unravel and get it back on the sticks and then the whole thing will be completely ruined! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO....

CoolWool is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
I usually put the project in time out and then revisit it them in a few weeks. Knit something you can enjoy for now. If in a few weeks you're still not happy and know you'll not be happy even if you finish it I'd say frog it and restart or repurpose the yarn. Life's too short to knit something you don't want to.. it's supposed to be enjoyable.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
CoolWool (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
moggy
Casting On

Hmmmm.... being an annoying perfectionist I would want to unravel until I got it right else I would finish it and never wear it. As suggested by Jan in CA try putting it away for a few weeks and work on something fun and revisit. You could also think about blocking your piece when it's done?

If you do decide to unravel your work there is a video on here under the tips section called 'Inserting needle into destination row before unravelling' - that way you can't go too far...
CoolWool (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
CoolWool
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks gang. I think I just needed to "vent" to find out what I really wanted to do - - because after writing that out, I figured the same thing. Why finish something I can't be proud to wear? So after I watched that video on frogging (same one, moggy ) I unraveled oh about, 48+ rows of work.

BUT, I'm excited to get back to work on it now.

CoolWool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
The whole point of knitting something is so that it can be worn. If it's not gonna be worn then there's really no point in finishing it. Unless you have someone you can give it to.

I think you did the best thing. I've frogged stuff back a bunch of times and you'll be happier with the end product, which will make you feel prouder of your workmanship.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trvvn5 For This Useful Post:
CoolWool (02-14-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
I've been in your shoes before. I think we all have. I know how frustrating it can be to figure out that you've made an error. Hopefully now it'll turn out good. And all those frustrations that you've had will only make you that much prouder of the work that you've accomplished. If it starts getting on your nerves again, put it down and work on something that you'll enjoy for a while, then go back to it later.
Good luck!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to crazykntter83 For This Useful Post:
CoolWool (02-14-2011)