Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Knit in the back of the stitch....
I have it in my head that knitting into the back of a stitch can make the new stitch acceptable as a purl... is that right?
I'm sure I'm wrong but how nice it would be if, instead of purling our way back after a knit row, we could just knit into the back of the stitch instead...
Is this farfetched...?
I do a knit in the back of a stitch to turn my stitch around when it is facing the wrong way on the needles... but is that all it is good for?
(and of course, in the front and back of a stitch to increase)
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No, knitting in the back of the stitch, it's the back leg they mean rather than the front leg that you usually knit into, and that twists the stitch which is sometimes used in ribbing or as a design feature.

What you're thinking of is usually called knitting 'backwards' - purling the WS row without turning. There's probably a couple videos at you tube on how to do it. I don't mind purling, I find it almost easier than knitting. Purling continental style is much different though and there's lots of various ways to do it. Look at the video here on Norwegian purl - the yarn stays in the back of your work instead of moving to the front.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
TEMA (02-24-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
Sheri
1st Leg of the Journey

Tema - When I do alot of stockinette and I get done with a row of knitting, I DO NOT TURN MY WORK, but I knit back backwards - meaning I insert the left needle (I use circular needles) into the back of the last knit stitch, throw my yarn with my left hand, instead of my standard continental. I love it. It goes very quickly and it does not twist the stitch. I started using this method when I was knitting an entralac shawl.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheri For This Useful Post:
TEMA (02-24-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Yes, knitting back backwards. A handy thing to know and I use it especially to do stranded color work on the return rows so I can keep the right side facing me. I can't do it as fast as regular knitting or even regular purling but it has its uses. Some people get very adept at it (sounds like Sheri is one).

I do it Continental as well, but don't really throw the yarn, but do it pretty much the way I do when I purl, i.e. do it with my left middle finger. It is also easy to do holding the yarn in your right hand.

When you finish knitting your row don't turn, just insert the left needle into the first stitch behind the right hand needle left to right, so kind of purl wise. Then wrap the yarn. (If you do it Continental it goes over the top of the bottom needle [so between the needles] and around to the back. English it is the same, but took me a while to figure out ) Then lift the loop on the right hand needle over the end of the left hand needle and let the the loop off the right hand needle. Or you can use your left hand a little more and think of that last step as pulling the stitch loop up like you do right handed.

Bobbles are another thing this works good for.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
TEMA
Turning the Heel

WOW!

Thank you so much for all this information. I really appreciate it and will use some scrap yarn to practice this method.
I don't like purling at all as it makes my right shoulder ache something awful! I really like the idea of knitting back instead of turning the piece...
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote