Old 02-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Topaz
Casting On

Knitting Help
Hi, I need some knitting help.

I'm following a pattern and at some point it says 'keeping patt correct' I can't figure out what it means by that...

anyone can help, if more info is needing to help me out just ask me..

Thanks
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

I don't believe that this is a specific direction to the pattern. It is just a general statement to be careful that you are adhering to the pattern. So just make sure you have the correct number or stitches at the end of each row and that you have followed any stitch or color changes correctly. Not doing so may lead to a problem in the next part of your work.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You're probably working a specific stitch pattern, and that could mean to 'stay in the pattern' even when you decrease or increase.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Topaz
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
You're probably working a specific stitch pattern, and that could mean to 'stay in the pattern' even when you decrease or increase.
well first it gives you 4 rows to work out to shape the armholes then in a separate paragraph it says:
keeping patt correct, k2tog at the beg of the next and every alt row until 15 sts remain, finishing at front edge.

what i did after working the 4 rows i changed to st st again and knitting 2 tog as described.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Topaz
Casting On

that's what i thought but what's funny it doesn't give you more instructions to work it out like it's showing on the pic...the way the instructions given make it look differrent
Old 02-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Patterns won't give you stitch by stitch instructions on how to keep in the stitch pattern after binding off and decreasing stitches. You won't start with the first stitch of the written pattern because you've 'lost' the first several sts and will continue to because of the decreases. So you need to figure out which stitch you're on and work it that way. This is where learning to 'read' your stitches comes in. For instance, on a k2 p2 rib pattern, if you BO 5 sts, you need to begin the row on the 6th st which is k1, then p2, k2, etc across. But for ribs, you can read the sts and if the next one is a knit stitch you knit it, if it's a purl stitch, then you purl it.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Topaz
Casting On

the pattern says this:

shape armholes
1st row - cast off 2sts, c2f, k1, *k1, c2f, k1, rept from *to last 2 sts, k2
2nd row - k1, * k2, p2, rept from * to last st, k1.
3rd row - k2tog, * k1, c2f, k1, rept from * to end.
4th row - k1, * p2, k2, rept from * to end.
Keeping patt correct, k2tog at beg of the next and every alt row until 15 sts remain, finishing at front edge.

what i did after working the 4 rows i changed back to st st as i thought to myself that it is impossible to continue working the rows like the 4 rows described and knitting 2 together on each row...was my thinkg good?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yes, you can keep the first and last few sts in stockinette st before the pattern repeats. Though it does tell you how to continute after casting off, and doing the first decrease. So on row 5 you would k2tog, c2f, k1, then repeat the *1k c2f, k1* pattern to end. On row 7 it woud be k2tog, k3, then repeat the 1k c2f, k1 sts. Just keep going like that, and if there's not enough sts to keep in the c2f pattern, just knit them.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Topaz
Casting On

so what you're saying is that row 5 and 6 should be worked like row 3 and 4 just by adding the k2tog at the beg and i continue like that till i remain with 15 sts, right?

how come you say k3 for row 7 can't i just keep going like rows 3 and 4?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

You don't just repeat rows 3 and 4 because you're losing a stitch every RS row. If you look again, what I typed for Row 5 is NOT the same as row 3, it leaves out a stitch. Row 4 looks very much like what I said earlier about ribbing, knit the knit sts and purl the purls sts and do that for all WS rows.