Old 02-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
betford2
Casting On

Graft with a cable insert
Help, I'm in over my head! I'm designing a hat and I'm stumped. First I knitted the body of the hat horizontally - wrapping around the head, instead of knitting in the round from cuff up to crown.

Next step: Graft the cast-on row to the ending row, to create the tube for the body of the hat. But instead of just straight grafting, I want to join the two ends with a vertical strip of cabling, six stitches wide, running up from cuff to crown.

I've got the "ending" row on its one needle, and I've picked up all stitches in the cast-on row on the second needle. But I'm stumped as to how to insert that six-stitch wide panel between the two edges while joining the two edges.

Am I explaining this in a way that makes any sense? Can anyone help me figure out what to do?

Thanks, everybody!
betford2 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly... you have three separate pieces that need seaming together and then you need to graft the two ends together? Can you take a picture and post it yet? There is a link in my sig to how to do it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
betford2
Casting On

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
If I'm understanding you correctly... you have three separate pieces that need seaming together and then you need to graft the two ends together? Can you take a picture and post it yet? There is a link in my sig to how to do it.
Nope, just one piece so far, the flat piece about 4 inches wide and 18 inches long, that will wrap around the head, once its cast-on row and cast-off row are joined - with that clever little cable bit in between.

I've posted a picture of the "scrap fabric" I've been using to experiment with, so don't be misled by the random ribbing and cabling in the photo'd piece. The point is, instead of just straight grafting of the two parallel needles, I need to work a cable strip in the gap. The cable strip will be worked at a 90-degree angle to the way the flat piece is worked.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01485a.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	55293  
Old 02-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I think I understand now.... There isn't a way to graft and add the cable at the same time as far as I know. I would make the cabled piece and seam it to both sides.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
betford2
Casting On

Durn, I was afraid you would say that! I had tried first to make the cabled piece separately, and then insert it as another step. But without some "ground" around it, the thing just twined itself up like a rope. Guess I'll just have to find a way to wrestle it into behaving.

Thanks!

Betsy
Old 02-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Yeah, it'll twist unfortunately. You can try blocking it by lightly steaming it or wetting and pinning it to get it to behave.

I'd add an extra stitch to each side (around the cable) by the way to use it for seaming.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
betford2
Casting On

Yay, I'm CLOSE to figuring it out! What I've done works, but there are fat sloppy stitches at the joined edges that I'd like to clean up. Maybe you can figure out how. Here's what I did.

Terminology: I refer to Edge A and Edge B. Those are the ends of the first piece, the one I want to graft into a tube shape. Edge A is always the one on the right, Edge B is always the one on the left. "Slip" means to put the stitch on the right needle, usually preparatory to passing it over. "Pick up" means to put the stitch on the left needle, preparatory to working it. I'm working 10-stitch rows.

First, use waste yarn to secure all stitches of Edge A and Edge B. Remove needles. (photo 1)

Row 1 - CO1, slip first reserved stitch on Edge A, CO6, slip first reserved stitch on Edge B, CO1 (photo 2)

Row 2 - Slip next reserved stitch on Edge A, P1, PSSO, P8, slip1, pick up first reserved stitch on Edge B and purl it, PSSO

Row 3 - Slip next reserved stitch on Edge A, K1, PSSO, K8, slip1, pick up first reserved stitch on Edge B and knit it, PSSO

Repeat Rows 2 and 3 as needed. Once that pattern was established, I started working cables into those 6 st in the center (photo 4 - I didn't post photo 3)

The remaining problem -- other than my counting rows wrong for the cabling -- is those sloppy stitches at the joins. Any ideas?

Thanks, Jan!

Betsy
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01486a.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	55295  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01489a.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	55296  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01499a.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	55297  
Old 02-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

So you knit picked up the edge stitches as you knit the cable? And when picking them up you use the PSSO technique?

I'm not sure it can be neatened up easily. You could try duplicate stitch, but you'll still have a ridge underneath I think. PSSO tends to leave a ridge I think.

Clever method, but I'm not sure it can be done to your satisfaction this way. Seaming each edge would still provide the cleanest seams.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I have done this. It is like what you do to join the shoulders of a Fisherman's Gansey sweater to each other with what is called a shoulder strap.

If you can lay your hands on the book Knitting Ganseys by Beth Brown-Reinsel she explains how to do it. You are beginning with a temporary cast on and working the rows of the cable and picking up a stitch on each side when you get to the side. It is a bit complicated to describe, but you might be able to get the book at a library.

You might be able to find something on the internet about how to knit shoulder straps to join the shoulders.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Oh! Nice to know it can be done neatly.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~