Old 02-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
janae1987
Ribbing the Cuff

Best Interchangeables???
Good Morning Everyone!!!

i've been lurking around here since November, but this is my first post!

first of all i have to say that i LOVE this site!!

Ive been knitting for almost 2 years, and have been reading a lot about interchangeable needles, and have decided to take the plunge and order a set...obviously i would LOVE to get the Harmony set but that is a little out of my price range...im thinking either that nickel plated options or the denise...what is everyones opinion???

of course the more i look at the harmony compared to the nickel plated...i can hear myself saying "it's only $14-$15 difference...so whats the big deal"....ugh decisions decisions!!!

thanks in advance for any opinion!

janae1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Depends if you prefer metal, wood or acrylic/plastic needles. None of them are 'better' than the others per se, it's all an individual preference.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Like Suzeeq said, it depends largely on the material of the needle and what your personal preference is. You'll find advocates of pretty much all of the brands/types of needles here on KH, since everyone has a different preference.

Personally, I have the nickle plated Options set from KnitPicks and I LOVE it!
A lot of it has to do with the cable ... it's very flexible and doesn't tend to kink up (although I've heard that this is the case for many brands now). If I have a chance in the future, I might get the Harmony set as well .... they look so beautiful! But for right now I'm satisfied with my Options .... I prefer the slickness of a metal needle.

Think about what characteristics you are looking for in a needle (eg. metal will "slide" more than wood), and then go from there. You'll be happiest with your decision if you base it on your knitting needs and preferences.
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
janae1987
Ribbing the Cuff

right now i have mostly Boye alumminum straight needles...i have a pair of clover dpns that i love, but i do the like the slide of the boye...nickel plated might be a better choice...or maybe ill just get the try it set and decide from there...

knitchick87 on Ravelry! add me to your friends!

Happily Married since 10/05/13!!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
If you look at a set of interchangeable needles there are needles that you may never use or use very infrequently. So one option is to buy the needles and cable you need for your next project. Use these until you need another size. Buy the size needles you need for your next project, and if needed another cable.

Yes in the long run you will pay more than if you buy a set, but, you will only spend a few dollars at a time.

Side note I am a fan of the Hiya Hiya interchangeable. However, I know that the best needles, yarn, etc are the ones that fit and feel right in YOUR hand not mine.

Happy knitting.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,742 Times in 7,114 Posts
I use the Options nickel almost exclusively. I own the Denise, but haven't used them in years because I didn't like the cable. (it's soft and flexible, but too thick for my taste)

If you remain unsure you can buy either a single set or how about the TRY IT set?
http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Int...__L300312.html

You can also buy one set of needles and cables from Denise.
http://www.knitdenise.com/pages/product-choices

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
My favorites are the Knit Pick's Nickle Plated interchangable needles. I used to only use the boye needles, but quickly changed over. Pretty much, there were no other options for me to choose from, living in my small town. Now, I'm thinking about trying the Harmonies, becuase I have never worked with wood needles, and would simply like to try them.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
karendidit
Casting On

KP Options
I have the nickel plated, acrylic and the harmony interchangeables and use them for different reasons. The wooden harmony needles have a great, sharp tip and there are times when that's really helpful. But darker yarns may not contrast well with these needle tips. I tend to use the nickel plated ones more often and they were the first set I bought -- a great place to start if you're serious about getting interchangeable needles. Your bigger concern may be having an array of cable lengths and finding the best cable length for your project. DO use the little tightening tool. It makes a big difference as you attach tips to the cable.

I have had trouble with cables loosening from the join at the metal collar, but Knit Picks is very good about replacing defective pieces. I've also had this happen to their fixed circulars which I use for knitting socks -- these interchangeables don't come in small enough needle sizes for sock knitting with fingering weight yarn. I've even had a wooden needle tip come out of it's join, but that was easy to glue back together with epoxy. The cables aren't as easy to glue and have the join be smooth.

In all, though, I really like these needles and do not hesitate to recommend them.
karendidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
Linda W
Casting On

[quote=Jan in CA;1316572]I use the Options nickel almost exclusively. I own the Denise, but haven't used them in years because I didn't like the cable. (it's soft and flexible, but too thick for my taste)

If you remain unsure you can buy either a single set or how about the TRY IT set?
http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Int...__L300312.html

You can also buy one set of needles and cables from Denise.
http://www.knitdenise.com/pages/product-choices

I totally agree about the Denise cables. I wish I had waited and gotten the Options set instead. The joins aren't that smooth either on the Denise set. I have both Denise sets of the knitting needlesand crochet hooks

Last edited by Linda W : 02-23-2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Typing on the iPad is really bad!
Linda W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
janae1987
Ribbing the Cuff

I did it! I just ordered the try it set! can't wait until they get here!

knitchick87 on Ravelry! add me to your friends!

Happily Married since 10/05/13!!