Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
pepsi99
Ribbing the Cuff

knitting with 2 strands held together
I have a pattern that calls for holding 2 strands of wool together. I love the pattern but dont' want to use 2 strands. If I knit it normally with one strand will the sweater turn out correctly?
pepsi99 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Most likely not. Knitting with 2 strands together makes your stitches a little more bulky. SO you are not going to get the same gauge you would if you were knitting with two strands. However, I think this is generally easy to fix by doing a gauge swatch and following your gauge for your measurements. You aren't going to be able to follow the pattern exactly because of the change. The increases and decreases won't make too huge of a difference.

I think its best to have a good understanding of what you are doing in the pattern so that you can alter as needed. If you aren't all that great with adapting a pattern to suit your own needs it might not be best to deviate from the two strands.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
pepsi99
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks! I've never knit with 2 strands before so a little leery of it. I'm hoping if I knit a sweater larger than I really want it will turn out almost the size I need.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You would have to use a heavier weight yarn to get the gauge in the pattern. Or you could use just the single strand of the yarn you have and do a much larger size because you'd need more stitches. Find the sts per inch you get with it, then divide that into the sts for the bigger size and see which one is closest to the finished measurement you want.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
pepsi99
Ribbing the Cuff

Great thanks!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
Little Audrey
Ribbing the Cuff

I have done this many times. I recommend: knit a swatch; rewind the yarns together; use bamboo or blunt needles; check every row or so to be sure that both yarns were included in every stitch! :-)
Little Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,387 Times in 3,068 Posts
Knitting with 2 strands of yarn isn't difficult. It's slightly different but maybe not as much as you think. Even if you make a mistake and miss one of the strands for one st, it really doesn't show. So don't let it hold you back, especially if the look of the finished sweater might depend on the mix of two yarn.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Knitting with 2 strands of yarn isn't difficult. It's slightly different but maybe not as much as you think. Even if you make a mistake and miss one of the strands for one st, it really doesn't show. So don't let it hold you back, especially if the look of the finished sweater might depend on the mix of two yarn.
I totally agree here. There's really not difference when knitting with 2 strands as opposed to one. The only difference that will change is the bulk of the sweater. I have a picture under Shawl Collar Sweater in the Whatcha Knittin section that was knit with 2 strands held together.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote