Old 02-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
hookedonknitting
1st Leg of the Journey

yarn question...
ok, So I wanted to knit this baby blanket

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...-st-in-polaris

But this yarn seems to be a bit expnsive and hard to get in my area. So I have been looking for alternate solutions. The online/local forum peaked my interest on buying online so I checked out elann.com. I found this yarn and was wondering if it was similar enough in weight and also if the style (twists) was close.

http://www.elann.com/Commerce.Web/pr...D=30&id=123684

Thanks for all the help!
hookedonknitting is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,644 Times in 7,046 Posts
It's actually quite a bit different in gauge. 13 st over 4 inches vs 5 st over 4 inches. However, gauge doesn't really matter for a blanket since it doesn't have any fit like a garment. It will probably be a little smaller is all.

BTW...are you sure you want a baby blanket that has to be hand washed? And that yarn will probably felt like crazy and may also pill. Look it up on Ravelry and see what they say about it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

I was going to say the same thing as Jan!

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about the exact gauge since it is a blanket ... you could always cast on extra stitches to account for the finer gauge (just be sure your total number of stitches works with your stitch pattern).

I would NOT recommend a yarn that must be hand washed for a baby blanket though .... the yarn you found is lovely, but I suspect it will not hold up well at all as a baby blanket. And I know that I wouldn't want to receive a baby gift that has to be hand washed (if I did, I would never use it!).

Just some things to think about! You could try checking out the yarns section on Ravelry to find yarns that are an appropriate weight and are machine washable to see if you find one that you like and fits your budget.

Good luck!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
hookedonknitting
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, I liked the pattern because it seems like a fast knit. I totally get the whole wool vs acrylic for kids ( I have twin two year olds) and I was torn about this issue. But as I live in Canada I thought it might make a nice stroller blanket. But I am very open for other quick knits in acrylic, I couldn't find much on Rav (amazing eh?!). The other thing I liked about it was it's cush factor
Old 02-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I searched Ravelry and filtered for machine washable, super bulky and wool and got a bunch. Here's a few other ideas in various price ranges. These are mostly blends, but they do have some wool.

I've used both of these yarns in the worsted weight version and they were nice and affordable.
Wool-ease thick and quick
Plymouth Encore Mega

I've also used this one on a sweater in the worsted weight and it's very nice so I'm sure the bulky is nice, too. It's got more wool and is washable, but is bulky instead of super bulky.

Berroco Vintage Chunky

Do a filtered search and you can see what I mean. Also try just bulky weight and you get even more choices.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
TEMA (02-24-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

Oh, yes, Hooked,
By all means listen to these experienced people. Good grief, a new mother has enough trouble washing the baby by hand and drying it on a flat surface.

She won't appreciate a blanket requiring same - especially considering the multitude of body fluids it will probably acquire on a regular basis. Give her a break and look up yarns by companies. There are a gazillion baby yarns and others not so fine that will work and be serviceable.

Check on Patons - Lion Brand - Plymouth yarns. You will find regular 4 ply yarns that are soft, beautiful, gentle(even washable 20% wool and acrylic blends) and quite apropos for baby blankets and clothes if you like wool. I don't use much wool because of allergys. Something to think about.

There are many others, but these are some with which I've had experience. I'm sure others can mention more.

I'm sure you'll get more suggestions. Good luck.
Jean
P.S. You have 2yr. old twins? . . . and you're still sane? You're even sentient! Congrats and many good wishes.
wellslipmystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
hookedonknitting
1st Leg of the Journey

LOL! Yes I am sane on most days, not all though!
Jan- I loved some of those yarns you suggested!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
Good grief, a new mother has enough trouble washing the baby by hand and drying it on a flat surface.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
wellslipmystitches (02-25-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Good, glad I could help! The yarns can also be found with all the colors on the yarn sites.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I like Lion Brand bulky acrylic yarns for something like this. I'm a mother of twins, too. My identical twin sons are 27 years old now. Once you get past the potty training stage, it's a breeze. They will keep the close bond between them for the rest of their lives. My twins live together. Best wishes to you.

Quote:
Insanity is hereditary. You get it from your kids.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote